Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Ultimate" Outfeed Table

Final pics, got the finish on it last night. 3 coats of shellac, kinda surprising how much it took - 3/4 of a gallon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris True; 01-10-2009 at 5:04 PM.

Arauco

Arauco is one of the largest forest products manufacturers in South America, they're headquarters is in Chile. They import significant volumes of plywood of various grades as well as moldings into the US. Much of the molding you see for sale at the Borg is Arauco molding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
    Final pics, got the finish on it last night. 3 coats of shellac, kinda surprising how much it took - 3/4 of a gallon.
    Very nice "weekend project" of an outfeed table Chris!

Did you shellac the bottom side of the hardbord also?

My only concern would be the hardboard lifting ever so slightly and then not noticing until your into a cut and it catches on the edge of it, especially between the slots. A suggestion, if I may, is to route out about 6 squares around 3 inches, 3/16" to 1/4" deep, adding velcro to the recesses. Then add smaller velcro squares to the bottom of the hardboard with contact cement.

... and, If you don't like velcro. You could countersink two magnets into a hole flush with the bottom of the hardboard, glue in the bottom one, add some contact cement to the top magnet and the underside of the hardboard, in the general area. Lay in the hardboard and pressing down so the top magnet will stick to the hardboard.

I would also drill a hole somewhere along the edge, thru the table top only, so you could push the hardboard up with a dowel if you need to remove it. It avoids having to dig a screwdriver around the edge to lift it up.

Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

even simpler is double sided carpet tape - I'd think that be more than adequate. I use it on all my active bench tops and such. It pops off when
    I need to replace them with very little effort and time yet I can't budge it in use.

any reason that wouldn't work? Good time to know since I in process of building mine

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Earl View Post
    even simpler is double sided carpet tape - I'd think that be more than adequate. I use it on all my active bench tops and such. It pops off when
    I need to replace them with very little effort and time yet I can't budge it in use.

any reason that wouldn't work? Good time to know since I in process of building mine
    DUH... I didn't even think about that:
    uh... it was early, hadn't finished my first cup of coffee. yea, that's it!!!!
    Guess I better go work out in the shop now, I got some conduit to run..... thanks alot Joel.

Later,
    Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

I only shellaced the top surface which did BTW cause it to lift! It was actually bowed up a fair amount. I popped it out for the 2nd and 3rd coats and left it overnight to gas off. While I had it off I shellaced the birch ply underneath since it was accessable, what the hell...

I put it back after a day and it had mostly come back to size, it was a tight fit and it still lifted up a very slight amount in the middle. I'm going to leave it another few days and see where I stand. If it's still too tight I'll either do what you suggest or just sand a 32nd off three edges. BTW, removing is no big deal, you can grab the edge of the hardboard in the miterslots and lift it up plenty to pop it loose. In any case, the table sits almost an 1/8" lower than the saw so slight lifting isn't really an issue.

Gonna add power today, bought an 8 outlet block along with a 15 foot 12 gauge extension cord I can run behind the drawers down through the bottom and out between the table and the saw over to the area off the extension table where I have my center of the room power. Be nice to plug in sanders, routers or whatever without cords snaking all over the floor! Also plan on finding a home in the thing for the two cordless tool chargers I think.

Kinda thinkin' along the same path Chris - the things is great sized for creating exclusive tool stash like the chargers, etc and the key is the power - power strips on 2 sides I was thinking so I didn't get a tangle of spagehtti inside it.

Since you are ahead of me in the process I'll await your pictures and opinions first.

See what you started around here
    Last edited by Joel Earl; 01-12-2009 at 5:26 PM.

I Like

Chris, that really looks great. I am doing a lot of planning for my new space right now, and your table is something I am going to definitly incorporate in my layout. That really looks like a slick setup!

Well, it's not my design .

I'll try and snap some pics of the power setup tonight. Pretty simple, found a 12 gauge / 8 outlet squarish power block at Lowes with seperate fuses on each half. The cord passes through a hole behind the block / drops down inside behind the drawers through a hole in the bottom and pokes through on the saw end of the table. From there an extension cord runs past the rear of the saw to the end of the extension table and plugs in along with my jointer and planer...

So here it is - 8 outlet block mounts with a couple of screws, it has keyholes in the back edges for that purpose. Couple of holes as previously described.

The mitersaw station is something I did a few weeks ago. Finally got around to adding the leveling legs tonight. I still need to come up with some sort of dust collection, it makes a MESS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the table...

(and the miter station for that matter)

... hate the outlet block, looks tacked on/out of place
    But that's just my opinion
    Thanks for sharing your projects with us all.

The miter saw station is something I did a few weeks ago. Finally got around to adding the leveling legs tonight. I still need to come up with some sort of dust collection, it makes a MESS
    At last someone has made a miter saw bench for a slider. I have been looking all over for a plan that would work with a sliding miter saw. Most benches bump against the back wall and limit the slides travel.

Can you post a few more pics Chris?

Regards to the family.

Bill

Is that Bill from upstate NY? How ya doin

The miter station came out of a book, Taunton I think. I can give you the title if you want, it's basically a book full of shop furniture designs. The author used melamine particle board, I used MDF.

Is that Bill from upstate NY? How ya doin

The miter station came out of a book, Taunton I think. I can give you the title if you want, it's basically a book full of shop furniture designs. The author used melamine particle board, I used MDF.
    The One and Only. I figured there were only so many Chris Trues out there..... Doing great, I have shop envy though looking at your spread.
    I would appreciate the name of that book. That bench look perfect.

I just bought an EZ Smart system of circular saw guides.... So far I like it a lot. I plan to build a table to substitute for a table saw so I can experiment and see what all the fuss is about.

I am also building a Joes CNC 4x4 Hybrid (http://www.joescnc.com). I eventually want to make a Jet mold..... So many projects, so little time.

Bill

Chris, Nice job! Can you please be so kind as to post a link to the FWW plans? I get the online version and searched to no avail. Thank you sir!