Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Ultimate" Outfeed Table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Ultimate" Outfeed Table

This weekends project was my version of the ultimate outfeed table featured in the latest fine woodworking. Still needs a couple of details as well as some sanding and shelac but I'm pretty happy with it! Got to put it to it's intended use today while I was turning a 4*8 sheet of 1/2" aruco ply into the drawer boxes and it worked great.

Main cabinet is 3 sheets of Lowes Maple / Birch 3/4" ply. I used a 1/2 inch sheet of their aruco for the drawers, some 3/16" harboard for the top and a little white oak for the edging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job with ultimate outfeed table Chris, Looks like its going to be a handy unit. well done.

Does the base have wheels so it can be moved around if required.
    Regards,
    Al

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images...d/rolleyes.gif

That thing is sweet as he double hockey sticks!!!

I love it. Anything you would change? I see you altered the plans a bit.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thanks, changes were pretty much limited to material choices. Phenolic ply is unobtainable around here. I did a flip-top stand on Tuesday from Lowes 3/4" aruco and was pretty pleased with the material for the price = $35 per sheet. Unfortunately they were sold out when I went back for more. The $50 per sheet maple / birch was the only thing in stock other than MDF that was reasonably flat so I went with that.I added the hardboard to have something cheap and replaceable to beat on and spill finish on, that lead to the edging to contain it. I will still add the fence shelf on the saw end, not sure about the clamp rack. Oh yeah, my runners are much bigger just to make it sit up off the floor a little more, the saw is on a mobile base so it's 35" to the top.

No wheels, there is a hefty lag bolt at each corner which serves as a leveling foot. If I need to move it it slides a few inches easily, to move it a longer distance it's easy enough to lever up onto a pair of dolly's I have in the shop.

Very nice Chris. Since your saw is on a mobile base, what all do you have built under the saw's extensions table? The reason why I ask, is that I added a drawer unit to the right of my router on my extension wing, and when I engaged the foot operated swivel wheel assembly to move the whole unit, the plate on the wheel bent JUST ENOUGH under the added load, that the mobile base was no longer mobile. Really bummed me out.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Very nice Chris. Since your saw is on a mobile base, what all do you have built under the saw's extensions table? The reason why I ask, is that I added a drawer unit to the right of my router on my extension wing, and when I engaged the foot operated swivel wheel assembly to move the whole unit, the plate on the wheel bent JUST ENOUGH under the added load, that the mobile base was no longer mobile. Really bummed me out.
    Ditto, would love to see some pics as I'm looking at something similar (will have to pickup that mag too!)
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Wow, that's good to know. What I have there is just an empty MDF box at this point, drawers still to come. After I slipped it in place I did notice the wheel was much harder to engage! Guess I'll keep that in mind, the saw is basically in the only spot it can be in for good clearance so it'll stay put. If I have to move it I'll just pull the drawer unit out first, the box just sits on top of the rails and slips in and out pretty easily.

Chris, that looks great.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Very nice Chris! How did you treat the miter slots with the replaceable hardboard top? Does it lift up any you use a miter guage or sled?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    Very nice Chris! How did you treat the miter slots with the replaceable hardboard top? Does it lift up any you use a miter guage or sled?
    I just routed right through the hardboard and into the ply underneath. There is no glue or screws holding the harboard in place, it sits nice and flat and seems to stay put. I just laid the sheet on top, clamped it in place and trim routed around the edge. When it needs to be replaced it'll require careful measurement . The edging of course is even with the surface of the hardboard which holds it nicely.

+5 to the nice job Chris!

I see the INCRA stashed underneath the top - are you thinking of incorporating that and a plate into this thing too?
    I saw the magazine yesterday and glanced thru it all and then spent the night pondering one. And a way to incorporate it to include a router and 17" INCRA fence setup. Seems just a few mods to maybe size might make it doable. Thoughts or insight to maybe doing this you can offer??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Earl View Post
    +5 to the nice job Chris!

I see the INCRA stashed underneath the top - are you thinking of incorporating that and a plate into this thing too?
    I saw the magazine yesterday and glanced thru it all and then spent the night pondering one. And a way to incorporate it to include a router and 17" INCRA fence setup. Seems just a few mods to maybe size might make it doable. Thoughts or insight to maybe doing this you can offer??
    Thanks

That is my INCRA mitre express sled, sounds like you are talking about a router table.

I am indeed. With the size of that top even as it is I can almost imagine a manner to squeeze one into the design. I'm envisioning stretching the top a bit more and maybe
    incorporating one on the back end farthest away from the saw and to the left as looking at the saw from the back side. I imagine I could maybe make it large enough so that I could leave it on for maybe 90% of my cuts that way. That still means maybe taking it off more than I want at that. Hmmmm

Thanks for the quick reply

The plan was for 53" long by 40 some inches wide, I added the edging so it's about 54.5" long. No reason you couldn't make the overhang a little longer, I just have enough trouble keeping "stuff" off any unoccupied flat surface, prefer not to add fixtures and fences <g>.

Nice looking outfeed table Chris.
    What is Aruco Ply? Don't think I've ever seen it at my local Lowes