Thread: Need help identifying an HVLP gun I found

Need help identifying an HVLP gun I found

Good evening all,
    While searching for an oil filter wrench (which I still have not found) I came across the following HVLP gun (actually two identical ones). I believe the gun belonged to my ex step-father, who I think borrowed it from his friend who does body work. This gun was probably sitting in the drawer for about 5 years and I never noticed it. I cleaned it and it seems pretty decent no rust on it. But there is no make or model on it so I am assuming it is a cheap one but. I was wondering if anyone could possible help me identify what the gun might be and some possible parts I may need to get it working again. Also there are some items in the picture that probably do not belong to the gun but I have no clue and they were lying next to the gun.
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't help you much

Derek,
    I can't help you much in identifying the gun but I can tell you that it's most lilely a pot-fed gun. There should be a seperate paint pot that attaches to the bottom of the nozzle vis a paint hose.

The other attachments in the picture is the air filter (green thingie) and an air regulator (the one with the gauge).

What makes you think this is a HVLP paint gun?
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Dale I have no clue if it is an hvlp gun I am completely clueless when it comes to spray guns, I was just making an assumption when based on pictures of other hvlp guns. I was hoping the experts here could help me identify the type of gun and some parts I am missing.
    Thank you both for your assistance.

HVLP guns have several air bleed holes drilled around the central paint needle in the nozzle. I've never seen one that hasn't. The other thing about HVLP guns is that the nozzle design has improved drastically in the last few years, to the point where the cheapo Harbor Freight guns are laying down paint better than the more expensive guns of a few years ago (as long as the nozzle oriface size is correct for what you are spraying), and you can afford to toss them if they leak or can't be cleaned. I wouldn't bother to even try to use an older paint gun unless it can be positively identified as a really good one, and that is usually easy. It would then need a rebuild because it will probably leak from all the packing nuts. That one looks awfully generic.

Paint guns are a lot like white gas Coleman lanterns nowadays- the old ones got the job done when maintained, but if they sit unused you are better off with newer technology because its a lot less finicky.

Looks like a aftermarket or clone of the Binks model # 7 gun , its not an HVLP just a regular suction gun .

Agree with Julian. It looks identical to the gun that came with my 2 gal pressure pot. Not HVLP. As best I can recall, I bought it at the same time and place that I bought my portable compressor. About 15-20 years ago from Builder's Square which has since closed their local store. I don't remember any brand names and, believe it or not, the manuals for the gun and pot don't reveal the manufacturer or any model numbers. But, if it is the same, and in no way will I guarantee that, it's probably whatever Builder's Square's captive brand was at the time. Incidentally, both it and the compressor still work fine.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA