Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Convert AI to CDR?

  1. #1

    Convert AI to CDR?

    Happy New Year to Everyone!

    I just got a couple of hundered images in AI but my Corel wont open them. Is there a batch process or program that will convert all of them into CDR in one shot?

    Thanks,

  2. #2

    Import

    You must import into Corel not open. I believe there is a way in Corel to automate but look at the help file for batch process.

    Good luck
    Pete

  3. #3
    First, be sure that it is an AI file of older vintage. Corel won't open the newer version AI files. Next set the filter (type of file) to AI then import it.

    If all else fails ask them to send the file as an EPS.
    Mike Null

    St. Louis Laser, Inc.

    Trotec Speedy 300 Newing Hall 350 Hot Stamping
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation Sand Carving Graphtec CE5000-60
    Evolis Card Printer
    CorelDraw X5 , Engravlab

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Moreton, Wirral, UK
    Posts
    3,269
    Use the search facility at the top of the page to find references to viewing your clipart. There are quite a few programs that will allow you to see them before importing.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Jersey Shore
    Posts
    365
    Yea - EPS is the way to go. The last time I looked in the Corel release notes it said that AI files are not fully supported.
    Epilog 35W Mini24, Corel X5


  6. #6

    I get it

    I see.
    I really would like to just convert all of them (over 600) to another format. Is this even possible? I found some programs that will convert but they charge you per file which would cost me a few hundred dollars. Has anyone done this before?

    Thanks again,

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Villegas View Post
    I see.
    I really would like to just convert all of them (over 600) to another format. Is this even possible? I found some programs that will convert but they charge you per file which would cost me a few hundred dollars. Has anyone done this before?

    Thanks again,
    You need to write a script in Corel to batch import .ai files in a given directory and then resave as a .cdr in another directory.

    Shouldn't be that difficult. I'm heading out for the day otherwise I'd put one together and post it.

    Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

    Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

  8. #8
    I did some research and was amazed to find very little documentation on how to create CorelDraw scripts. Macros are another story and almost create themselves (by recording). So... instead of reinventing the wheel I poked around X4's existing macros.

    Create a destination directory then try:

    Tools:Macros:Run Macro:FileConverter

    I just tried it and it batch converted my .ai files to .cdr

    Note: I would try small batches at a time to be safe.

    Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

    Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

  9. #9

    Almost there

    Thanks for your help.
    I will be honest and say this is the first time I do any of this kind of work (running marcos,scripts or any of that stuff).
    This is a great way to convert files If I was to get it to work. I keep on getting a grey solid rectangle with the file name when I run the thing(whatever I am doing). I tried different files and folders and keep getting the same error. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone tried this?

    Thanks again for your time and help.




    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I did some research and was amazed to find very little documentation on how to create CorelDraw scripts. Macros are another story and almost create themselves (by recording). So... instead of reinventing the wheel I poked around X4's existing macros.

    Create a destination directory then try:

    Tools:Macros:Run Macro:FileConverter

    I just tried it and it batch converted my .ai files to .cdr

    Note: I would try small batches at a time to be safe.

    Cheers,
    Doug

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,239
    I had the best luck dragging and dropping into Corel instead of importing.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Corel V 12
    BMW, Beta, Sherco, Honda, Suzuki

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Villegas View Post
    Thanks for your help.
    I will be honest and say this is the first time I do any of this kind of work (running marcos,scripts or any of that stuff).
    This is a great way to convert files If I was to get it to work. I keep on getting a grey solid rectangle with the file name when I run the thing(whatever I am doing). I tried different files and folders and keep getting the same error. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone tried this?

    Thanks again for your time and help.
    It could be the version of the ai file is giving you grief. Do you know what version they are? Otherwise, if you post one of them, one of us Creekers can let you know.

    Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

    Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

  12. #12
    They were using the latest AI version. I believe its CS3.Do you think theres a plug in out there that would work on this?

    - Art.

  13. #13
    Arturo

    Try saving the files to your download folder before you convert. I've run into this with eps files before and I think this was my solution.
    Mike Null

    St. Louis Laser, Inc.

    Trotec Speedy 300 Newing Hall 350 Hot Stamping
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation Sand Carving Graphtec CE5000-60
    Evolis Card Printer
    CorelDraw X5 , Engravlab

  14. #14
    I dont get it Mike. How do I do that?
    Sorry, I aint too computer saby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Arturo

    Try saving the files to your download folder before you convert. I've run into this with eps files before and I think this was my solution.

  15. #15
    Arturo

    I just meant that if the files weren't on your computer that if you store them in a folder on your pc then import into Corel it may help.

    If they're already on your pc then it doesn't matter.

    Whenever I tried to bring a file such as an eps into Corel without first having it on my pc I got the gray box.
    Mike Null

    St. Louis Laser, Inc.

    Trotec Speedy 300 Newing Hall 350 Hot Stamping
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation Sand Carving Graphtec CE5000-60
    Evolis Card Printer
    CorelDraw X5 , Engravlab

Similar Threads

  1. Convert cdr files
    By Albert Nix in forum Engravers Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 12:03 PM
  2. Corel X4: How to convert text to single vector line?
    By Robert Ray in forum Engravers Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 7:37 PM
  3. Free Convert Program
    By Johnny Kleso in forum General Woodworking and Power Tools
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
  4. Do I need to convert eps to cdr
    By Mohammed Hasham in forum Engravers Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
  5. Software to convert black & white images to color
    By Bob Weisner in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 5:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •