Thread: Inset hinges, free swinging?

Inset hinges, free swinging?

I'm trying to find the right combination of hinges and magnetic catches for inset doors on my bedroom built-ins.

Details:

Cabinets are face frame construction (sides not flush with door opening) with raised panel full inset doors. I would like euro style concealed hinges and a
    "press to open" type catch.

I found Blum full inset hinges at the local Woodcraft for FF, but they only have 4 in stock and are $10/ door. 8 doors on this project, and I'd like to find a better long term solution as I prefer inset doors and FF construction. A local cabinet supply has Amerock hinges for $2.40/door, but they are for frameless cabinets. I know I can order Blum hinges for less $, but with shipping I'm still paying almost $10/door for hinges.

Q's) 1. Can I buy the framless inset hinges and mount them to spacer blocks?
    2. Do I need free swinging hinges for the magnetic "press to open" catch? (I don't want to put handles or nobs on these doors)

thanks for helping on my first post.

brent

Welcome to SawMillCreek Brent!

I went through this combination several months ago with a client that wanted built-in bookcases, with no hardware showing, magnetic push catches, face frames & inset raised panel doors. I was not able to locate a euro style hinge that was rated for "overtravel" - where it would allow the door to be pushed into the case to activate the push catch "push" release mechanism. It might be out there, but I couldn't find it. I ended up going with butt hinges and the client painted them to match the paint on the bookcases.

You might be able to use a knife hinge, or find a pivot-style hinge that is mortised into the top and bottom corners of the doors (like a swinging bar door).

Todd

Inset hinges, free swinging?

I too welcome you to SawMillCreek Brent.

If your looking for a source for hinges, draw slides, and other like hardware, try CSH (Custom Service Harkware), 1-800-882-0009, www.cshardware.com. Lots of people on this forum have recommended them. Their prices are quit reasonable (low in fact), but to get their wholesale pricing, you have to order $50.00 minimum (don't worry, they have so many good things at such good prices, you'll reach that easily).

Regards, Joe

Brent --
    Another good source for hardware is www.wwhardware.com. They have cup hinges at good prices, and lots of support documentation about how to choose and order them.

As for touch latches, I do my best to steer my customers away from them. The concept is fine, but all the latches I've ever tried feel cheesy, and they break too easily. Here's some alternatives --

* Design the door so you can hook a finger tip around an edge someplace. It doesn't take much to open a door. You can put an indentation in the face frame. Or you can make the door inset on three sides, but overlapping on one side -- generally the bottom. I've done this on kitchen cabinet uppers.

* Make part of the face frame a little door which is hinged at the top or the bottom. You push in on the little door with a finger, and then curl the tip sideways to hook the real door you want to open. The little door stays shut with a spring or gravity.

* Make your own mechanism. There's a button on the face frame. It can be flush, or can be somewhat proud. You push in on the button to push the door open a bit. Behind the button there is a lever somewhat like a see-saw which flips the door open. There's also a version of this which puts the button on the door, but the linkage behind is different.

Jamie

I do quite a few inset doors with touch-latch for opening. I don't use face frames though. I have never had any problem using the euro hinges. There is enough give in the hinge to operate the touch-latch.I use free swinging hinges with touch-latches. If you can't find freeswinging you can take the spring out of the selfclosing ones. I have done that on both Blum and Grass. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

thanks

Thanks for the ideas. The cabinets are already Painted (wifes choice, don't scold me) and installed. So I can't change the design without a lot of work.

I think I will install the free swinging euro hinges and do a test with the touch latch. If it doesn't have enough give, I'll install nobs. I would use a butt hinge as Todd suggested. However, because I built the doors after the cabinets, I may need the euro adjustment to cover slight errors.

BTW- Todd, I made the mistake of showing my wife your website. Great stuff, too much great stuff!

thanks again.

brent