Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soliciting comments re Festool Systainers

Soliciting comments re Festool Systainers

In the tread entitled “Tool Cases –what do you do with them”, several people commented on Festool systainers. In particular, there were several comments about the fact that the inserts that Festool puts within their systainers are away below the quality of the systainers themselves and of their tools.

I am, starting this new thread to solicit additional comments about the systainer inserts. My intention is to collate the responses then send them to Festool in an attempt to get them to bring the quality of their inserts up to the quality of the rest of their products.

Below are a set of comments re systainers that I extracted from the original thread:

Chris Padila:
    All my Festool stuff stays in the systainers. I like cases...they work well for me and it makes storage and safe-keeping of the tool easier.
    I'll chime in that I also agree the Festool liners are on the cheap, flimsy side and won't last. That said, I'm pretty careful with it. The one holding my CDD-12 drill is doing fine and the 150/5 is holding up well but if I used them daily for my job, I can't see how they would last very long.

Jim Becker:
    Like some others, I toss them...EXCEPT for the Systainers that come with Festool and the metal box that my Sawsall lives in. It's not that I don't like the boxes, but for the most part, they take up a lot more space and don't "live together" very well, being different sizes and configurations. Systainers fix that...not that I'd trot out and buy "empty" ones for tools.

Frank Pellow:
    In particular, I use the Festool systainers and have even purchased 2 extra systainrs and fitted them out for non-Festool tools.
    I agree that the inserts for the Festool systainers are not of the same quality as the rest of their products. So far, mine are lasting OK, but I admit that I am being particularly careful with them. However Jason, I do not understand your comment about limited room for the cords. This is certainly not a problem with the tools that I have.

Jason Roehl
    I like having "cased" tools for the various reasons already given--protected from dust and debris, easy transport to jobsite, etc. As for the Festool Systainers, I think they are a great idea, but poor execution. The case itself is fine, but I think the molded plastic insert is flimsy and I can't see it lasting very long, plus the way that insert rides in the case leaves little room for the cord--which to make fit you have to coil up fairly tight.

Greg Mann:
    Frank, you and Jason are correct about the Systainer inserts. I believe I will wind up making replacement inserts for my AT55 and my planer. The Rotex insert, while made of the same thin material, seems a little more acceptable but not much. Just enough I probably won't replace it. I could overlook it more easily but Festool touts the Systainer as a significant advantage to their line. Perhaps we need to lobby them to improve these liners. Having said all that, I still love their tools. After using them for some time I guess I would buy them even if they came without the best boxes in the industry, liners notwithstanding.

John Miliunas:
    Systainers for all my Festool and, when not in use (seldom!), they're in the systainers. The only other one I'm religious on, is indeed the Sawzall, as it also has room for extra blades. The blow-molded cases, IMHO, are pretty useless and eventually end up in the landfill.
    Frank, I concur with your general observations. I too, do NOT have a problem with finding room for the cords on any of my Festool equipment, but the inserts do appear to be on the "delicate" side. For me, I'm both, very careful with them and don't have a need to lug the equipment from job site to job site. That said, others find the Festools GREAT for job site work and this would undoubtedly become an issue for them. I think Festool *should* be made aware of this.

Jay StPeter:
    I agree that the systainer liners are flimsy.
    After some digging on the Festool site, I see that tools are available without systainers in some other countries. I would gladly pay a little less and forego the systainer totally. Although I like the one for my circular saw, I can't imagine drills or sanders would ever find their way back into the sysainer in my shop. I might prove myself wrong here, but I doubt it

Peter Kuhlman:
    I discard all of the cases my tools come in. The Festool Systainers I have stacked in my attic but the blow molded cases that so many portable tools are sold with just get junked.

Mark Valsi:
    I have stored the Festool boxes under the house, hate to throw them out ,but they take up too much space in the shop !

Frank and others,

Could you comment on the case you built to house your Festool plunge saw and guides? Some other gentleman also used a gun case from WalMart that he claimed seemed to be made for the very application!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Frank --

Unlike you, I'd avoid doing anything that drives Festool prices even higher. Me, I'd prefer them to lose the fancy boxes, and drop their prices accordingly.

Jamie

How much do you really think they would drop, Jamie? I doubt it would be significant but then again, significant is a subjective quality....

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post (on vacation, sort of). Sometimes being a sales rep for Festool precludes me from jumping into a particular thread, but I sure will pass these comments on to Christian Oltszcher, Festool's CEO.
    Not to directly comment on the opinions, I think all good companies welcome the advice/suggestions/comments of thoughtful customers. Festool sure does. That's how products improve. Keep the comments coming.

Regards,

Bob
    bob m

I do not know either, but it would be nice to see options available for cases. Problem is, what they charge to buy a case seperately (not just Festool) is in no relation to what they may drop the price of the tool. I personally like getting the cases with my tools. You then have the old problem with stoking the wrong item case or no case, and the suppliers for sure are not going to carry double inventory, its hard enough to move units let alone try to guess how many folks want cases and don't. Now, a place that does primarily phone and internet and no real retail, should be able to handle that option. You'd find out the real cost of case this way.... problem for the marketing guys though.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Frank and others,

Could you comment on the case you built to house your Festool plunge saw and guides? Some other gentleman also used a gun case from WalMart that he claimed seemed to be made for the very application!
    I will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Frank --

Unlike you, I'd avoid doing anything that drives Festool prices even higher. Me, I'd prefer them to lose the fancy boxes, and drop their prices accordingly.

Jamie
    I will say that some folks prefer the option of not having boxes at all (and, will note that we know that this option is available in some countries).

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post (on vacation, sort of). Sometimes being a sales rep for Festool precludes me from jumping into a particular thread, but I sure will pass these comments on to Christian Oltszcher, Festool's CEO.
    Not to directly comment on the opinions, I think all good companies welcome the advice/suggestions/comments of thoughtful customers. Festool sure does. That's how products improve. Keep the comments coming.

Regards,

Bob
    Thanks Bob, that is a very fair position for you to take.

Once I have consolidated the responses, I am planning to send them to Festool directly as well as to you with the request to present them to Festool. Do you have any advice re procedure?
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 06-23-2004 at 9:42 AM.

I have about 4 systainers locked together. I really like the common footprint/locking mechanism. However, one more voice to the song... the inserts are no good. There are one or two of them that I have to sit and think about how I just removed the tool in order to figure out how it sits back in.

I remember my surprize on my first Festool purchase, everything was great, but what is this silly little plastic insert...

-Jim

I have the festool Planer, Jigsaw and plunge saw. I love the tools and the cases are nice for onsite work but I have to agree the inserts are not the best. I really dislike the jigsaw insert. Every time I take the saw out of the case the flimsy insert feels like it is going to snap most of the time it comes out with the saw spilling all my blades on the floor. I also have all the optional hubs and blades for the planer and they come in styrofome containers it would be nice if the insert had some type of storage or a better case (not styrafome)for the extra hubs and blades on the planer. This is really a small complaint because the tools are awesome but I'm sure festool would like and apreciate any feedback we could give them to make their tools better.

On that note, Jason, for the two attachments for the drills (or at least for my CDD-12), there are spots for the eccentric and the right-angle chucks and there is room for some loose drill and screwdriver bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Thanks Bob, that is a very fair position for you to take.

Once I have consolidated the responses, I am planning to send them to Festool directly as weel as to you with the request to present them to Festool. Do you have any advice re procedure?
    Frank,

Christian O does read the forums on a somewhat regular basis, but his email address is ols@festool-usa.com.

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    How much do you really think they would drop, Jamie? I doubt it would be significant but then again, significant is a subjective quality....
    Chris,

In Australia, the prices listed for the OF1010 router
    in box 566,50
    in systainer 595,00

You're correct, not super significant. But, then again, if you won't use it why pay the extra 30,00. Hey, it's probably a few vegimite sandwiches.

They offer 4 packages that include rails and rail adapters. In this case, the 2nd most expensive kit is the one offered in the US.
    For a router, I don't think I would use the systainer. But, I would want the rail adapter, so the price would probably be a wash to get it.

I'm guessing the longer festool is in the US, the more of these kind of things will make it here. Gotta start with a limited SKU, then move up. Standard business practice.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

$.02 worth

Boy, us Festool owners are a sophisticated bunch. But that's okay, most of the other guys think we're nuts anyway. For the most part, it seems from this thread and the one that spawned it, that systainers are generally appreciated and used more than almost all other tool cases (+1), are higher quality and reflect the system philosophy that Festool promotes (+2), and have flimsy liners (-1).

My guess is that this issue of liner quality may be something already under consideration at Festool. They seem to be very interested and committed to continuous improvement of their products. Since the systainers are an integral part of their corporate product line and not something they 'job out' to the lowest bidder, I believe our observations will be given due consideration. If you check out the parent company website www.tooltechnicsystems.com , and can get past the language limitations, under the Tanos wing you will find many scenarios using the systainer concept, from picnic baskets to emergency medical kits and beyond. This platform is clearly a money maker in its own right. I would suspect that here in the US they are part of the tool purchase because Festool thinks that is the most effective way to market their product here. MAYBE they should be an option, apparently with better liners, and those of us who want the systainers and would use them would be willing to pay for them and those who don't want them would benefit from a slightly lower price. I doubt Festool wants to foist them on us if we don't want them since the added cost might be enough to keep a percentage of folks from buying the tools in the first place. The real benefit is in starting a dialogue with Festool so that they can receive feedback from the American market and tailor their strategy accordingly. Frank took my remark about lobbying them and ran with it, good work Frank. Let's see how they respond. If this is fruitful maybe we should expand on this as time goes by and use these threads to present ourselves as a loosely knit and informal user's group, an advisory committee on the American market if you will. This would probably not work for DeWalt or PC as the purchasers of their products run across an awfully wide spectrum with different aspirations and expectations. Festool users, I'm guessing, have some pretty specific expectations about performance and it makes sense to let Festool know how they are doing. Nothing real formal, mind you, but maybe we should look at this thread as a model of what we can do in the future. This would also give Festool a nice opportunity to show what they can do and with other WWs peeking in from time to time their performance could win (or lose) some converts. If you think I'm all wet here please feel free to say so.

Greg