Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloring glass

Coloring glass

I am an teacher that has been asked to laser engrave the prom glasses for the high school this year. One of the question asked was if the engraving could be colored. I was not sure so I am asking if anyone has done this. If so how is it done and where to get the dye from.
    Thanks
    Ed

You can color fill after engraving - looks great.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Ed it is possible to paint an engraved piece of glass using special paint which can be purchased from an art/craft shop. How good they will look is another question.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Cermark has a material for etching glass with color. I have not tried it to see the results.

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Gl...g+on+Glass.htm

Jim

You can use Rub n Buff to be found at most craft stores, like Michaels, etc. I use it all the time and it works great. It comes in about 20 different colors. All you do in apply it to the class using a paper towel, make sure you fill the engraved part well, then rub off the excess, your done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

Thanks I will try the rub and buff. I looked at the cemark stuff but I have a co2 laser and it will not work with that
    Ed

Glad I was able to give back for all I have received from this forum. I am sure you will like the end result.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner

Well, want to cheat a bit? You'll have to honest with them that it won't last long at all, but dry erase markers do a great job to fill on glass or ceramic (mostly used as displays). It will wash out after two to three washes, but for the initial bang, it is well worth the cost to the effect you can get.

Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

I think you are refering to the rub n buff. I have used it on the glasses in my house and to this day they still look great. I do not however use a dishwasher I had wash them and dry them. I guess is you put it in a dishwasher with the hot water and soap it would most likely wash out. I tell all my customers not to wash them in the dishwasher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner

Ray,

I have rub n buff also - but for quick down and dirty that is not as permanent - the dry erase is easier to control areas you color and might serve a larger job order that is meant to be cheap and quick. I won't use R&B on a glass job where there are 100's and they want them for dirt cheap. If they are willing to pay me to spend the time making 100 glasses with the R&B - then by all means, but if they come in looking for a handout (most school functions) - they'll get what they pay for...

I discourage dry erase for use at weddings, that's a no brainer - you'd want those things to last a lot longer than one wash... For a prom - where they can get plastic champagne glasses from Oriental Express for $.50 each with an imprint - I wouldn't try to compete with them - I'd direct them to the cheaper item and explain it to be a more economical step than trying to upsell them a $5 glass...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

CerMark glass marking materials

Hello Ed,

I am a Technical service Representative for the Ferro Corporation where we manufacture and distribute the CerMark Laser Marking Materials. We have various colors available that you can use to make a permanent bonded etch your prom glasses. I can send you some information if you would like, just e-mail me at rozwoods@ferro.com and I will send you some technical bulletins and product listings. If you would like to see a video on how to use our glass/ ceramic material and see if this will fit your needs, just check out the link below at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POhWMHk4-s

Also feel free to contact me about any other questions you might have on our Laser Marking Materials. I would also like to thank James Aldrich for recognizing us.

Stephen Rozwood
    Technical Service Representative
    Ferro Corporation
    251 West Wylie Ave.
    Washington, PA 15301

Phone: (724) 223-5990

Fax: (724) 228-3170
    Email:
    rozwoods@ferro.com

Cool Video from Cermark

The excitement in the voice of your narrator was overwhelming!

I like the look on glass, though.

Jim

Yep, he really was over the moon!

Good video of the spraying technique, how to judge even thickness.

I especially liked the "Let's Play Hardball" music at the end! It woke me up from the stupor the narrator inspired.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I especially liked the "Let's Play Hardball" music at the end! It woke me up from the stupor the narrator inspired.
    LOL. To be fair though, the instruction was as clear as could be done. I prefer that method to some of the ones with the ear splitting beatbox grunge, that so many think are really cool.