Thread: Experiences with propane heat?

Experiences with propane heat?

Hi

My house currently is heated 100% with a wood stove. I plan to add propane heat pretty soon because I wan't a back-up. Also, I now have no heat in the basement - which I am about to start finishing. My house has no ductwork, and I am not interested in the expense of adding it. And, I would rather not install baseboard heaters because of the electrical expense. So, I think I have decided on propane. I understand that there are several different types of propane heaters. Vent-free and vented. Also infrared and blue flame among the vent free types. I am told that the vented type is the best way to go, but that it is a lot more expensive then vent-free. Among the vent-free types, I am told that infrared is the best way to go because the fuel burns "cleaner". Can any of you share your experiences with prpane heat?

Thanks
    Stefan

We also heat with wood.

And have a backup Infrared ventless heater in the kitchen as a means of some quick heat of a morning. Also if we have to leave, it will heat enough to prevent the pipes from freezing. Be aware propane puts quite a bit of moisture in the air, which is good in the winter when things tend to dry out.
    And around here, besides wood heat, propane is the cheapest to heat with.
    Steve

Hi Stafan,

First questions: What are you local regulations and what does you insurance company say?

I have an infared ventless in my basement and would not buy another ventless heater. The fumes are too much if it needs to be ran a lot. How air tight is the area you want to put it? It is not bad if it would just be for a bit of supplimental heat. If you go the sealed burn chamber route with combustion air brought in from outside and the gasses vented you will need a drain for the water produced.

Have you considered and indoor wood-fired boiler? They have excellent efficiency and there are many new radiators options and heat exchangers. If you are interested in this route I can give you some more information.

I hope this helps, check the regs and the insurance first.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I have had a ventless flame heater in the shop for about 6 years now and have no complaints. I turn on the pilot in the fall, set it for about 50 and let it run til spring. I noticed an odor the first two years but decided it was the glue in the plywood walls. I haven't noticed any the past couple of years. It does put moisture into the air but I found by moving tools away from the heater I reduced the rust problem significantly.

You might look at the ventless fireplace units. Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

I have done some more reading about this tonight. The fact that there is so much controversy over it gives me a bad feeling. It is legal in my state, but I don't know what my insurance co. thinks about it yet.

I am learning that it is meant as supplimental heat. In my basement, there is no other heat source. In the main part of the house, there is a wood stove. But I am not looking for something to "add" to or suppliment the heat. I am looking for something that I can turn on and forget about it. And it would be the only heat running. The idea is to run the wood stove during the 3 coldest months and use the propane heat at the other times.

Charles - am interested in learning about all other types that I can use. So any info is appreciated. I just don't want to add duct work.

With this extra info, do you guys think this would be a bad move. What else can you recommend?

Stefan
    Last edited by Stefan Antwarg; 06-23-2004 at 12:08 AM.

What about a "staple up" radiant heat job? Plates and tubing go up underneath the floor. That assumes unfinished basement. Hot water source could be a standard propane-fired hot water heater.

Rob

Do you mean under the carpet? I am unfamiliar with this method

Stefan

Propane Heat

Stefan, I live in Virginia and I I own a Split Foyer house, I have a heat pump and when the temp. gets below 30 degrees the heat pump does not work all that great. I had to propane wood fire places installed one upstairs and one downstairs and in the cold winter months they really help warm up the house and when they are own the heat pump hardly ever kicks own. I'm goining to try and attach a picturte of something what they look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.