Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Beta

Windows 7 Beta

Windows 7 Beta will be available for download starting tomorrow!
    Here is an outtake from PC World:

Microsoft... announced a free public beta of the new OS, which reportedly will be less of a resource hog than Vista and may even run well on netbooks. The Windows 7 public beta is reportedly "feature complete"...

Microsoft says Windows 7 is a leaner, stripped-down OS that will require as little as 1GB of memory... Vista has the same memory requirement but runs sluggishly on systems with 1GB of RAM.

But there's more to Windows 7 that faster performance, Microsoft says. There are plenty of under-the-hood changes, including a revamped Vista kernel and a less-annoying User Account Control that you can configure to post fewer security warnings. The Windows interface will undergo some changes as well...
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Obviously Microsoft have something new that they want to push on everyone. Right now if you buy a new pc you have to have the big mistake installed from the 'get go' (yes Vista). That machine was geared mainly around putting emphasis on creating your own movies and a load of other totally useless stuff like video games. Which incidently is the main reason why most of us have so much RAM. I suppose it will be another stupid operating system that won't be backwards compatible and yet more waste of time! The old expression that still makes me laugh is, "you can save so much time with a computer" phooey.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Not sure if all of you have heard it, but the joke in the community was the order of the software versions. Windows CE came out, then Windows ME and then finally they switch to Windows NT. Didn't take long to figure out when they added them all together they came up with CEMENT...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

4. Post

...."CEMENT" that's pretty good. When the computer is always waiting for me and not the other way around then we will have arrived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    Not sure if all of you have heard it, but the joke in the community was the order of the software versions. Windows CE came out, then Windows ME and then finally they switch to Windows NT. Didn't take long to figure out when they added them all together they came up with CEMENT...
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

What do you bet that Windows 7 is just Vista Rev2 and two times nuthin is nuthin.

I guess I'll hold out a bit of hope. I was one of the unfortunate who bought a computer that shipped with WinME installed. It didn't take me long to upgrade to XP once it came out. I've heard the two extremes on Vista, but it's gotten plenty of bad press like ME did, so I'm hoping that "Win7" will be to Vista like XP was to ME. Microsoft didn't get to where they are today by only cranking out turd software...they've put out a few good things over the years.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Keith,

Windows 7 is essentially Vista r2, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been quite about that fact. There are few major changes to the overall experience, more of an "upgrade pack" to Vista. In fact, if you install the beta on top of Vista it will install very similar to a service pack. The OS is quite a bit faster (though "faster" is a relative term when you're talking about a dumptruck), is less of a memory hog, and doesn't bother the user so much with constant "Are you sure you want to do that?" questions.

Be aware, though, this is still a beta, and as such will be time-limited. I stay away from betas on my home machine because they simply mean I'll be rebuilding my machine in 3-6 months when the license expires. Nothing lasts forever...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Windows 7 OT

OK, do I have this right?
    First I pay for bad software...Vista...Then I pay to fix it...Version 7.

If I put out something bad, I fix it for free. And I do not wait 2 - 4 years.

It's like a newspaper...I pay to advertise in it and I pay to read it. How many peole get paid from the supplier and consumer?
    (You can insert many magazines in here too.)

Just a random thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brinkmeyer View Post

That's why they're rich and you're not.

More good news - If you run this beta version it expires in 6 months, whether or not Win7 is ready for release.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brinkmeyer View Post

It's like a newspaper...I pay to advertise in it and I pay to read it. How many peole get paid from the supplier and consumer?
    (You can insert many magazines in here too.)

Just a random thought.
    Now you know the apparent Xenetech Business model as well
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Now you know the apparent Xenetech Business model as well
    Nice Scott - first time I've witnessed VIRTUAL SALT in a wound.... (Sorry guys who that gave a sting to, but you have to admit it is funny if you can get past it).
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    To bad that Windows NT was released BEFORE both CE and ME (Windows NT was relased 1993, windows CE was released 1997 and windows ME was released 2000)

NOT going there...

I've pretty much lost all respect for Microsoft. The Vista thing and their attempts to date to "fix" it have been like watching a combine try to harvest a tow truck. You can hve my XP when you pry it out of my cold dead hands! If epilog builds a driver for Mac, the fat lady would sing!
    Tom
    "My wife says I don't listen to her...or something like that..."