Thread: Plans for a large extension (dining) table

Plans for a large extension (dining) table

Guys;

I need plans for a very large extension table approx 20' long. Does anybody have one, or know of a source.

What?
    Nobody builds big tables

Brad, something that large would be pretty unique. I doubt you're going to find a "plan" anywhere, per se, but Thos Moser has something that gets pretty large, although not close to 20'. That size brings some interesting engineering challenges I would think for support, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Silly me, I thought we were talking about an extension table for the TS! Place I worked at that did car stereo and truck conversions had a big wrap around table on their Uni that was probably 16' wide and 10' deep to make cutting sheet goods easier. I'll go back to reading now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

there are a couple amish vendors around here that have tables that large, but not quite the look i want. We have a pretty large family and swmbo wants a nice tablefor family gatherings in the new house that is to be finished in about a month

Build two tables

Really - Make sure they are the same height.

Structurally you are buying so much trouble with an extremely long table like that. Besides, how would you move it?? You would need several sets of legs, etc. Just think how much of a run a floor joist can have before it is supported (not the best analogy, but easy to visualize).

i have thought about 2-3 tables put inline, but would really like one multi leaved table. Thanks for the input

Mom has a large 48" round oak pedestal table. I think there are 5 or 6 10" leaves which can be inserted. The way it works is the pedestal base splits such that the two halves of the base end up about 5 feet apart. Although I have not really studied the construction, I think there is a double set of slides which relates to the bases and then a triple or quad set of slides which relate to the top. The slides all have metal pins to lock slide to slide to keep the base square. I know that if you are not careful when extending the top, it is possible to have the top off center to the base.

Sorry, no picutres or even a chance to get any for you. We had 14 people at the table at Christmas time and not all the leaves were added. At least it is possible to build a single table which expands to close to the dimensions you were thinking about.

Found a guy a centerville that has a table style i like and that meets the size requirements. Guess i'll just buy it and build the chairs. Anyone have plans for a decent folding chair design.