Thread: Makita Siding Nailer

Makita Siding Nailer

Does anyone know anything about the Makita AN611 Siding Nailer? Basically I'm wondering if it is basically just for hardiboard (or other fiber cement) siding, or is there a bumper clutch deal that it could be used for vinyl siding as well?

Thanks,
    Eric

Siding should be nailed by hand, no matter what kind it is. Just because it is being done does not make it right. The hacks are taking over......

I could not disagree more!

I use a Bostitch siding nailer for the James Hardie fiber cement siding that I'm currently installing on my own house (it's the blue stuff in my avatar).

The gun fires 2" stainless-steel ring-shank nails. Without the gun, it would be nearly impossible to install 12-foot lengths of siding by myself.

If you're installing fiber cement (or wood clapboards), just be sure to set the depth properly so that you don't overdrive the nails (they should be "snug" up against the siding, not driven flush).

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Siding should be nailed by hand, no matter what kind it is. Just because it is being done does not make it right. The hacks are taking over......

Maybe Larry is just referring to vinyl siding - because it has such a large amount of movement with temperature changes, it is supposed to be hung from the nails in the slots, not nailed tight. Hand nailing is best for this. I, too, nail both wood and fiber cement with a coil nailer (Senco). The fiber cement is supposed to be installed with end gaps for expansion. Wood siding has very little movement in length. Either of these can be nailed properly with pneumatic tools and some care. My $.02.

A professional hack.

Yeah, I knew all of the above info, I was just thinking that being a specific siding nailer, that it might have a clutch on it that you could aim the nail better to get it into the slots of vinyl siding and have a depth control as to make the siding "float" on the wall...For hardi, I have always just used my roofing nailers, since most of those have a depth control, why is there a need to have a siding nailer? So I was hoping that the Makita would be able to do like I described above, but I guess not, oh well, it'd just make life a lil easier is all.

Thanks for the info