Thread: Chris Schwarz

Chris Schwarz

I must say woodworkers are GREAT people....
    I sent Chris Schwarz (popular woodworking) an email telling him how much I have enjoyed his books, blog and a couple of DVD's I have seen and asked him if he was teaching any classes this year.
    Well he got back to me and told me he was not due to family committments. He asked me where I lived to see if there was someone in the area that he could recommend. Thought that was really cool...well low and behold I responded to him and within 30 minutes he wrote back and told me Jim Tolpin had a new school he opened up in Port Townsend...a ferry boat ride away...he also said Jim Tolpin was one of his heroes...
    Anyway I thought I would pass that on...someone as busy as he is takes the time to respond to emails.....very cool!!
    Jim

Jim,

I believe Chris is one heck of a guy, and a fantastic person. It is hard for me to imagine where all his energy originates - and he must have one heck of an energy reservoir, to keep going as he does.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

One advantage of living in Cincinnati (home of Popular Woodworking) I have got to meet Chris a couple of times. I e-mailed him one night after 12am about his bench I was reading about on-line. He E-mailed back in 30min.
    You would get a kick out of the Popular Woodworking shop. It is in a big office building. Typical office with desks, computers etc... then open the door BAM! a woodshop.

The Half Price book store is not to far from the office and will bump into the Popular Woodworking guys there at times.

Check out this link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=876146
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-10-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

He is very helpful, to so many folks. A great person for the woodworking community to have access to.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Blog Entries
    Port Townsend is a nice little town. My father used to live in Sequim, WA and the wife and I would always find a way to get into Port Townsend when we were up to visit him.

I like the little coffee shop, I think it is on Tyler Street, but it is one of those places you just know where it is when you've been there.

Now, we live in the same state, but all the way at the southern end.

jim

I have Great Respect forthat Guy..

I have chatted and emailed him a lot online but I meet him for the first time this summer at the IWF and I walked up to introduce myself and he said "Johnny I know how you are." and something like how could you think I didn't...

Respect is a funny thing, I guess we think of people as God Like kind of..

I remember some one writing me saying they could not believe I was writing them back and how he admired my work and posts..

Then I remembered when I meet Brian Buckner at a show and I had a awe struck feeling and we soo became friends..

All I can say is Thnk You to all the people that host, moderate and post topics as you all really make my day a little bright..

Thanks Ya'll
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Port Townsend is a nice little town. My father used to live in Sequim, WA and the wife and I would always find a way to get into Port Townsend when we were up to visit him.

I like the little coffee shop, I think it is on Tyler Street, but it is one of those places you just know where it is when you've been there.

Now, we live in the same state, but all the way at the southern end.

jim
    I live on Whidbey Island and would get over to Pt Townsend on occasion. Since the ferries have been cut back from Whidbey to Pt Townsend I don't get over there that often. It is a great place...I liked going over for a beer and just walking around the town....I am definitely going to check out the woodworking classes.

Jim

I haven't met him yet but I hope to some day.

He really seems like a nice guy with a ton of woodworking knowledge.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Smile I too . . .

I too had a similar experience when looking for the book. . . I foolishly bought the workbench book from a source that at the time did not combine it with the DVD. I didn't even know a DVD existed . . . Realized I missed something, I contacted Chris Schwarz via voice mail . . . . He called me back same afternoon, convinced me I needed a subscription to Popular Woodworking & I was able to get the DVD that was available to accompany the book.

The book is the best reference possible if you want to build a bench . . . now all I got to do is build one . . . a real one . . . that will be project 999,999 . . . . .

Top magazine staffed by knowledgeable people building "real" projects . . .

Speaking of a great reference source . . . . every piece of equipment I own that I "regret" buying was bought prior to my SAWMILL CREEK days . . . . I have NEVER been sent in the wrong direction one time since . . . .

Steve
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 01-11-2009 at 1:33 AM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

"It is hard for me to imagine where all his energy originates - and he must have one heck of an energy reservoir, to keep going as he does."

Ha! That's easy - it's youth (something I lack)!

He's taken a fair amount of criticism for some of his opinions from "the old guard", but his analytical approach to methods of working and tool use is long overdue, IMO.

Jim is member here at SMC. I just sent him an email telling him youse guys are talking about him.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I starting taking Pop WW in 94/95 or so when it was a typical WW rag of the time. Writers were pretty much from kitchen cab shop/millwork backgrounds and the articles were of the "ultimate router table" variety.

Chris came from a different background and promoted a hand tool awareness in the magazine and that grew and then blossomed. And then he and guys like Rob and Pete T and Mike W and others started participating more on net forums and that further contributed to making a mere awareness into a movement and finally into the Renaissance in tools and the re-discovery of methods that we are enjoying today.

Handtool Heaven in Port Townsend

Yes, the classes are happening! I must thank Chris for his referral! He's actually one of my heroes! As Chris mentioned, I am currently teaching at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking--mostly handtool focused classes (see www.ptwoodschool.com for the complete 2009 schedule). After years in the finish carpentry and custom cabinet trade, I've finally gotten back to working mostly with hand tools and I'm really enjoying it. And since I started teaching folks how to set up and use them, I've had to really get down to it and understand why and exactly how they do what they do. I've learned (and remembered from when I first started with handtools almost forty years ago at Penobscot Boat Works in Maine) a bunch of the nuances, and I must say that Chris has really been showing the way and uncovering some really fundamental concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I live on Whidbey Island and would get over to Pt Townsend on occasion. Since the ferries have been cut back from Whidbey to Pt Townsend I don't get over there that often. It is a great place...I liked going over for a beer and just walking around the town....I am definitely going to check out the woodworking classes.

Jim

Chris seems to be the Rock Star of woodworking these days. I've never met him, but I feel like I can call him by his first name because I've spent so much time with his book and blogs. Also, every time somebody talks about building a bench, I recommend his book.

I asked my library to buy the book when it first came out. They actually bought two copies and I don't think they've been on the shelf yet. When they are checked in, they immediately go out to people who have requested them. (It's a lot like when Harry Potter came out.) I've checked it out three times myself.

A Rock Star, but still has time for the little people.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 01-12-2009 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Read it again and it didn't make sense. Maybe it does now. Who knows at this early hour.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tolpin View Post
    Yes, the classes are happening! I must thank Chris for his referral! He's actually one of my heroes! As Chris mentioned, I am currently teaching at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking--mostly handtool focused classes (see www.ptwoodschool.com for the complete 2009 schedule). After years in the finish carpentry and custom cabinet trade, I've finally gotten back to working mostly with hand tools and I'm really enjoying it. And since I started teaching folks how to set up and use them, I've had to really get down to it and understand why and exactly how they do what they do. I've learned (and remembered from when I first started with handtools almost forty years ago at Penobscot Boat Works in Maine) a bunch of the nuances, and I must say that Chris has really been showing the way and uncovering some really fundamental concepts.
    Jim,
    Great to hear from you....didn't know you were a member here at the creek! I am thrilled to see you have the PT school up and running. Looks like a great bunch of instructors as well. I remember Bonnie Klein from the AWA when I lived in Redmond. She is really a great turner. I see you have Garret
    I hope to see you at some upcoming classes!
    Regards,
    Jim