Thread: Cabinet Project

Cabinet Project

My father had a set of coner shelves that he wanted enclosed. He chose to have the cabinet made from Pine (I would have chosen Oak, but it is his cabinet!). My father lives in SW PA, about as south and west as you can get in PA (Aleppo, Greene County). Therefore, transporting my shop from SE VT was out of the question. I made the Raised panel doors here in my shop and decided to make the face frame on site. I took as many portable tools with me as I could think of, my F-I-L who shares my shop was to the point of asking me if I was leaving anything for him to use while I was gone. He is in the process of making a few wishing wells and didn't want to stop that while I was gone. Below are pictures of it before my dad took care of finishing up the trim and shellacing it to match the door beside it. It was a fun project and visit. Got to make some supers for his bee hives and got to help him get a couple of hives going from the Nuc stage (1/2 brood chamber - starter home - 5-frame) to a full brood chamber with its' new queen (10 frame). Got to drive his JD 770 tractor around and pick up some fresh cut lumber (Tulip Poplar and Ash). Most of the 1,000 Bd Ft or so will be picked up when I go there in November for deer season (Poplar, Ash, Maple, Cherry & Walnut - mostly Poplar)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Agree!

Kurt I agree . I had to make some raised panel doors recently for a relative and had to do it in pine to match (we used clear). I feel your pain.. Anyway, good job and hope the stain matches. Sounds like you have a good source of lumber for future projects!! Jerry

Kurt,

It looks like everything turned out very nicely - and if pine is what dad wants, all the better. I only hope my son comes home to help out with projects.

Wes

Jerry,
    My father reports that with 3 coats of Amber Shellac it matched fine. He continues the baseboard around and put some 1/4" quarter-round at the top where it matched up with the ceiling. All in all, he is very pleased at the outcome (which is what really matters).

Wes, I am always too willing to help with projects when I get home to see him. As a matter of fact, he is coming up here this summer to help me tear out the plaster walls in my living room and help me put up the sheetrock. I guess we have this sorta sick idea of visiting - we always seem to combine it with projects or hunting. I hope your son will come help you with some projects, it's fun to do things with your father (son).
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt