Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easy Rougher - Worth the $$ ?

Easy Rougher - Worth the $$ ?

Wondering if anyone has this or has heard anything about it. Does it really save time? How long does the cutter last? I have a few gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket.
    Thanks-
    Jess
    easy-rougher.jpg

I heard about it and saw it in action at Richmond. I figure I am not in that big of a hurry rough bowls so my bowl gouge does just fine. Still have the money in my pocket.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It'll tear off 1/2" cuts so fast the chips hurt and significantly increases the speed I can rough out a bowl. I really do not enjoy roughing an out of round blank and anything that gets it done quicker is good in my book. As far as the longevity of the cutter, I've only done a couple of bowls to date but there's no sign of dulling.

Mike

Jess,

I just finished roughing a 10" green walnut bowl and used the Easy Rougher for 90% if the work. I think it is a fantastic tool. It has a very short learning curve and works exactly as advertised. The cutting edge lasts a through many bowls; I don't know how many because I'm still using the one that came with it and replacements aren't too expensive. Stu in Tokyo has some good videos using the Easy Rougher on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBYI...eature=channel

As to whether or not it's worth the cost, only you and your wallet can decide that. What's expensive to me may seem a bargain to others. I can verify that it's a quality tool.

George

I love mine and use it more that I should. Making a quick tenon, remove 90% of the interior of a bowl, you name it. I am exceptionally pleased with mine.

It really does remove a lot of wood in a very short time, and the wood coming off your lathe is really hot. I wear a glove to keep myself from getting burned.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

I made my own for under $15. 1/2" square steel bar and a spare Byrd Shelix carbide cutter. Works great, though I've only used it on spindle stuff so far, but you can turn a blank into a cylinder in seconds.

I did buy the plastic chip deflector from CSUSA, and it's nice to have. There are several threads about this over on the IAP pen turners website, in the tools and shops forum. The key to rapid stock removal is to have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 25 - 30 degree bevel on the cutter. Most carbide cutters for metal work have a much shallower angle. The cutters for jointer or planer heads are much faster for roughing out purposes. Other folks have used the Grizzly cutter heads with good success.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    It'll tear off 1/2" cuts so fast the chips hurt and significantly increases the speed I can rough out a bowl. I really do not enjoy roughing an out of round blank and anything that gets it done quicker is good in my book. As far as the longevity of the cutter, I've only done a couple of bowls to date but there's no sign of dulling.

Mike
    Mike whats your lathe?
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Sounds like I'm sold
    George- thanks for the link. It was very helpful since I never remember to search youtube.
    A lot of talk about lathe power though. Do you think my Jet 16x42 1 1/2hp 115V will do the trick?
    Last edited by Jess Wetherhold; 01-11-2009 at 8:02 PM.

I made my own using a 5/8 piece of mild steel and the Easy Rougher carbide cutter. It is a real time saver. I have used it on maybe thirty bowls of Osage Orange, Ash and English Walnut and am still using the same cutting side.
    I would highly recomend getting or making the shield. The Easy Rougher throws shavings right back in your face and over your head.
    Another thing about it is if you use a bowl gouge to true a out of round bowl blank by holding the gouge at a 45 degree angle the out of round piece drives the gouge back at you every time the high side comes around. On the other hand, The Easy Rougher sits straight (Horizontal) on the tool rest and all the out of round force is directed straight down on the tool rest and not back at the turner.
    Most new tools I try don't live up to the advertisement, but the Easy Rougher is a pleasant supprise.

I've had it close to a year now and use it all the time. Finally rotated the cutter after about 20 bowls and even more boxes. Really reduces time roughing out and it puts a super finished cut on the flat bottom of boxes. Guess you can tell I am beyond happy with it. And Craig is a superior tool vendor to boot...Bill...

Picture of my homemade Easy Rougher
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. I got mine right after Thankgiving and made a Koa handle for it . I used it several times and the cutter is still sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Mike whats your lathe?
    Delta 1460 w/a 2hp/3ph & VFD. With the proper belt ratio and VFD it doesn't slow down for anything

One last question

I figured that I would go ahead and order a replacement cutter to save on shipping later and I see that it comes with the crowned cutter. Is there an advantage having the crowned vs the square cutter?