Thread: How to start with segmenting?

How to start with segmenting?

I would not have the patience to do segmented work, but my better 1/2 thinks it would be great fun to cut up and glue hundreds of little precise angled pieces and build a form - and then hand it off to me to turn.

So, my main question is: What equipment would she need to cut, sand, measure, flatten, plane, clamp, etc., wood for segmented work.

Assume I have nothing but a lathe (pretty much true)

I expect a table saw is required, so you can start there. If you have suggestions on make/model for any of the needed (medium price range) tools - great.

If this works out, I may have to ask y'all for suggestions on building a new shop...

My wife thinks fun is watching Desperate Housewives. I will say though you don't always need a tablesaw. You can use a Miter saw and make jigs to cut lengths the exact same everytime so you don't have to measure everytime.

Keep in mind only segmenting I have done is with pens and on a much smaller scale then some of the beautiful work I have seen here.

All I can say is that's a heck of an offer. Go out and get yourself a nice tablesaw, compound miter saw, and a 12" disc sander before she changes her mind. She doesn't have a sister, does she?

I'd recommend getting Malcolm Tibbett's book on segmenting. It's available from him directly (see his personal information here under members) or you can buy it from Amazon.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    She doesn't have a sister, does she?
    Actually, yes - but she would be more interested in buying the pieces for decoration

...wait - that works too!

Rick,

I'd skip the table saw, go with the compound miter saw, some good Jorgenson clamps, Titebond II glue. You'll be on your way. They're fun to do, segmented turnings. And depending on how complex you get, not too difficult and still turn out great really. Course I have a friend at a frame shop who does my miter cuts for me (I cheat I suppose in that regard, but she measures much better than I do as they do miter cuts all day long and she has for 30 years). Allow for kerf on the joints and you're set. It's fun, best to you on this endeavor!

Jude

A drum sander, disc sander, miter saw or Incra miter gauge for the table saw, lots of rubber bands or hose clamps......lets see..........Oh yes the most important thing Malcolm Tibbets book!!

Also something that helped me was the Woodturner Pro software suite. Gives you all the angles and measurements you need for each ring in the glue up. Also lets you resize everything easily and pick wood species. Google for it, you'll find it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I will check out the Malcolm Tibbets book.

One thing that I don't know is how precise the wood needs to be.

If I purchased a board at the woodcraft store, would it usually be flat enough on top and bottom to be able to use?

If I cut pieces with a chop saw, would I need to sand a lot - or will all wood have to be planed/sanded perfectly flat on top/bottom/sides?

How smooth should they be (what sanding grit)?

I guess I am looking for the usual steps a segmenter would go thru, and the tools needed for each step.

Something like this:
    - purchase/acquire boards
    - sand/plane boards top/bottom (will I need to do this - with what tool?)
    - cut boards (what tool is best - table saw with sled, or miter saw?)
    - sand sides (will I need to do this?)
    - glue rings (what glue, what clamp?)
    - glues stacks (what glue, what clamp?)
    - turn (lathe) ... I got it from here.
    - sand
    - finish.

Rick,

The thickness of the board ...the angles would have to be extremely accurate and the thickness on each ring consistant IMHO. Otherwise, when you turn them you would be relying solely on glue joints.

Get Malcolm's book to educate yourself before you buy the necessary equipment. It will save you money in the long run. Or.....reinvent the wheel....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Totally agree on Malcolm's book. I have the book and it is quite interesting. Have not jumped off the deep end yet but will in time. Already have about all I need except for the wife to do the cutting. You have a treasure there.

Malcom Tibbetts has a video on his site and youtube that shows some of the process involved.

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s

Good luck John

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    I will check out the Malcolm Tibbets book.

One thing that I don't know is how precise the wood needs to be.

If I purchased a board at the woodcraft store, would it usually be flat enough on top and bottom to be able to use?

If I cut pieces with a chop saw, would I need to sand a lot - or will all wood have to be planed/sanded perfectly flat on top/bottom/sides?

How smooth should they be (what sanding grit)?

I guess I am looking for the usual steps a segmenter would go thru, and the tools needed for each step.

Something like this:
    - purchase/acquire boards
    - sand/plane boards top/bottom (will I need to do this - with what tool?)
    - cut boards (what tool is best - table saw with sled, or miter saw?)
    - sand sides (will I need to do this?)
    - glue rings (what glue, what clamp?)
    - glues stacks (what glue, what clamp?)
    - turn (lathe) ... I got it from here.
    - sand
    - finish.
    Malcom's book has all those answers and more - get it and be ready to be amazed at work he has done.

- no relation to Malcom - just a purchaser of his book.

Oh, and for an easy one to start with - try this one...
    http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur....html#advanced

scroll down to the beginner bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    So, my main question is: What equipment would she need to cut, sand, measure, flatten, plane, clamp, etc., wood for segmented work.
    You have gotten some good answers here about equipment, but If I could add one thing... Personally, I prefer a table saw, but that's just me. If you use a mitersaw, get a good one that is accurate, and repeatable on the cuts. Nothing worse than a sloppy mitersaw for segmenting. I know, I have one.

As for the wife, she sounds like a keeper, but watch your lathe. If she succeeds in making the segments and rings, her next step is to move in on your lathe (she'll need it to true the rings). Better start looking for the second one now (lathe not wife). I know, it happened to me!

Oh, and malcolm's book... You'll read it cover to cover, and then refer to it constantly for reference.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Another great book to complement Malcolm’s is written by Ron Hampton. I believe it is titled Segmented Turning: A Complete Guide. It is an excellent choice for beginners. It has several smaller projects in it that are perfect for newbie’s and for developing proper technique.

I got Malcom's DVD's for Christmas and have only looked at the first couple of projects because I am savoring the ideas. He really concentrates a lot on the segmenting instead of turning so I am finding it very useful for some tips that are not even highlighted as he talks but are there.

Doug