Thread: Thoughts on reconditioned airless sprayer?

Thoughts on reconditioned airless sprayer?

Good morning all,
    I have decided to buy an airless sprayer most likely the spraytech line either the 1420 or the 1620 because they fit in my shrinking budget. I saw online a few places that sell these products reconditioned and for about half the price of a new unit which would allow me to buy a few accessories. I was just curious if anyone has purchased a reconditioned airless sprayer and if this would be a good route for me. I do not spray a lot so I am looking to get started on a budget and if I enjoy doing it I can always upgrade. But I am not sure if reconditioned sprayers are going to have a whole new set of problems that will make learning even harder.
    Thank you
    Forgot to mention the website says it is factory reconditioned.
    Last edited by Derek Larson; 01-13-2009 at 8:51 AM.

I've had pretty good luck with true factory reconditioned tools. In many cases, they can be a better deal because rather than just coming off the assembly line with every fifth (tenth? hundredth?) one being inspected, this one is fixed and inspected to make sure nothing else is wrong. These can be units that were returned for reasons ranging from missing parts to shipping damage to just open box returns. In any case, they've been inspected moreso than originally.

Just make sure that it includes everything the retail version does - sometimes you don't get manuals or certain parts. The other issue is when someone else is doing the reconditioning. Most companies contract out reconditioning (I used to work for a firm that reconditioned electronics for major manufacturers), but sometimes the reconditioning is done outside of the manufacturer's supervision - possibly to used equipment - and results may vary wildly.

Thank you Thomas that makes a lot of sense and alleviates my fear of reconditioned tools, I never thought about the fact that it probably will receive a more thorough inspection.