Thread: Built-in Bedroom Closet – Please Help

Built-in Bedroom Closet – Please Help

First off this is by Far the best woodworkers forum on the net.
    I read it almost everyday and love what I see/hear.
    Here is some things that I have been thinking about that could use some critiquing

Things to address in the design
    1-The Left Side Window that is 20 ¼” from the back wall toe right edge of the sil
    2-I believe that to have dress shirts on hangers you want about 19 ½” and with current measurements of a ¾ face frame and an ¼” backing would bring me to 19 ¼” which I think should just be OK although if some professionals have any other ideas I would love to hear them.
    3-The Widths of the face frame rails and stiles between the drawers, at the walls, and especially on the left wall which has a 3” I sill sticking out.
    4-I plan on using the Euro hinges that I hear work well with these face frame and should allow me to come out with a good looking product in the end.
    5-I did make a face frame in Sketch-up although I believe I have altered my design since then. So they may not be exact.
    As far as the slides go I believe I am going to go with accuride or Blum that need ½” on each side of the drawers

For the Laundry basket some 75# or maybe even 100# slides with this Tenn-Tex rollout shelf supports
    http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...rts/showprod/1

again I am not pretending to be an expert with this hardware because I am far from that so any suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Construction is going to Follow although I have been hearing a lot of good things about building the face frame first then the carcase and the doors/drawer fronts to follow.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions
    Attached Files Attached Files

Additional Sketchup Pics

More sketchup
    Attached Files Attached Files

19" is the usual cited depth for hanging space. Actually, I find that it is possible to get by with less. For instance, most clothes hangers are about 16" wide.

If you build the right-hand cabinet 36 5/16" -- exactly the width of the opening between the walls -- you'll likely have a difficult time installing it. You need some wiggle room to get it in there.

I'd think about tieing the left cabinet to the right cabinet with shallow shelving in front of that HVAC duct.

Euro hinges are good. They allow door adjustments after the cabinets are installed. Overlay doors are better in that regard than inset.

Your drawers seem tall. You'll be pawing through the stuff on the top to get to stuff on the bottom. I'd consider changing them to three banks of drawers to make each one shorter. While I'm changing things, I'd also consider making that space only one wide drawer instead of two. If you make the space two drawers wide, you lose storage space which you could have if you make them one drawer wide.

19" is the usual cited depth for hanging space. Actually, I find that it is possible to get by with less. For instance, most clothes hangers are about 16" wide.

If you build the right-hand cabinet 36 5/16" -- exactly the width of the opening between the walls -- you'll likely have a difficult time installing it. You need some wiggle room to get it in there.

I agree, I actually have in my original Sketchup a little more room but due to the size constraint I quickly re-did my drawing again in parts to be able to attach them in the forum. I also just recently found a three bin removable hamper that I will attach that should fit perfectly.

Supreme Laundry Sorter - White/ Chrome
    DPCI: 002-00-0712
    ASIN: B0012O2N12
    Catalog #: 10785793
    $39.99

I'd think about tieing the left cabinet to the right cabinet with shallow shelving in front of that HVAC duct.

It is actually an old solid brick chimney from 1909 when the house was built, that has been filled in (so I have been told) and plastered over.
    I live in a South Philly Row home which has def. proved to be a challenge in most of the projects I have attempted. I was thinking about having some horizontal belt and tie racks mounted there since the depth is very small. I was considering having an Ironing board there but I do not Iron and dont plan on learning anytime soon, as I get all my clothes dry cleaned when I do not have any females to do them (Mom, Sister, or girlfriend)

Euro hinges are good. They allow door adjustments after the cabinets are installed. Overlay doors are better in that regard than inset.

Your drawers seem tall. You'll be pawing through the stuff on the top to get to stuff on the bottom. I'd consider changing them to three banks of drawers to make each one shorter. While I'm changing things, I'd also consider making that space only one wide drawer instead of two. If you make the space two drawers wide, you lose storage space which you could have if you make them one drawer wide.

Yeah, that is a very valid point I think I am actually gonna do something like that if not similar. Thanks for the advise and taking the time to review my situation it is greatly appreciated