Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basement Shop, Heavy Tools

Basement Shop, Heavy Tools

I have a dilemma. I am trying to get started in the power tool arena of woodworking. I currently have a 14" bandsaw, 10" SCMS, and 2.5 HP cyclone for dust collection.

I want to acquire "the big three": table saw, jointer, and planer. My problem is that work area is in my basement, and there is no walkout access. Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing

I want to invest in solid, quality tools that will last me a good long time. Sadly, this usually means heavy. How do I get these things into my basement?

The options I can think of:

• Get smaller, lighter tools, like contractor grade instead.
    • Try to wrestle the items down the existing stairs. This option frankly scares the heck of out me.
    • Install a basement egress like Bilco (estimate is around $8,000 to do this). Still have to get the tools down the stairs.
    • Use the garage. I don't want to use the garage - it's only a 1-car space, I like to park there, and winter is way too cold here in WNY.
    • Disassemble tools and move piece-by-piece. I believe I've read some recommendations against doing this, as they may not be able to be re-assembled to factory specs.
    • Move to a location that has either a walkout basement or room for an additional ground-level structure. This is fraught with the obvious complexities and expenses.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the situation. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Mike

I was able to muscle a hybrid t-saw downstairs to my 'shop' with another person without having to remove the motor. There are plenty of threads around here with stories of people who've disassembled cabinet saws to move them downstairs.

You can get a 12"-13" benchtop planer which'll easily be carried downstairs.

A 6" or even 8" jointer shouldn't be hard to carry downstairs with a friend either.

That being said, if the BILCO option was as cheap for me as $8k, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The two reasons for this is 1) makes it easy to get long stock downstairs w/o tearing up yr walls, 2) Great for ventilation during finishing.

I wouldn't move yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I have a dilemma.
    Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing.
    That is not called a dilemma Mike; it is called a dream.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Buy the best equipment you can afford.
    2. Friends, starving college students, you name it, the stuff can get downstairs.
    3. Even though you are lucky to be single now, claim a large area for a shop and make sure it can not be reconfigured for anything else.
    4. Go for it, and good luck.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

When you say no "walkout access" do you mean no external door at all? Seems like that would violate a code of some kind...

I've got a basement shop and external access is via a concrete stairwell. Its a tight turn, but I've managed to get some large pieces in. The Delta Unisaw (with wings off) was a light job with an appliance dolly. 8" jointer, 14" bandsaw, and cyclone each took two people. The only thing that has stumped me has been the 20" Grizzly planer. It still sits in my garage--it weighs almost 800 lbs. and I'm not even sure it will make the corner in the stairwell. I've got some movers coming to move a houseful of furniture from the garage to another place and the thought has crossed my mind to see if I can throw them some bucks to try to move it.

I'd also love to have some metal working equipment, but the large metal lathes and Bridgeport mills weigh a bit too much. Next house is going to have a daylight basement for sure...

Michael,
    The smart thing to do is hire pros to do it for you. You would be amazed at how efficient professional movers can be. Make sure you check out the movers credentials because there are some fly by night guys out there that would be worse than your doing it your self.
    David B

The heaviest machine I have in my basement shop is my Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer at about 660 pounds.

Heavy stuff goes down the stairs just fine, it's the other direction that's more work!

I added 4 vertical posts to my stairs just because I'm a chicken.

Then the machinery went down the stairs, lowered slowly with a winch.

The comment about hiring a professional machinery mover is the best idea, they have the tools, and the experience to do it right. Not to mention the insurance for when things go wrong.

You're on the right track, there's no reason that a reason that a basement shop cannot have good stationary equipment, don't go the cheap route or you'll just wind up replacing the stuff later.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    When you say no "walkout access" do you mean no external door at all? Seems like that would violate a code of some kind..
    Without secondary egress he can't have a "legal' bedroom, but lots of basements don't have walkout or walkup access.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Thanks for the ideas. I did not know there was such a thing as a machinery mover, but sure enough I found a few in the yellow pages. One of them says they can do this sort of thing for $125 / hr. Worth every penny to me!

Does falling asleep at my workbench make it a legal bedroom?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing

Mike
    No problem. Big machines go on the first floor! Sleep in the smallest room in the house.

My first shop was basement shop. It's better than no shop. All 6 shops I've had since then were at drive up level. Machines are one thing but lumber, plywood and finished wood products went in and out often for me.

With no other choice Rod's ideas would work.

Since your single you can leave the winch set up in place. This will impress(or prevent) any potential spouses.

I bought my cabinet saw and my 18" bandsaw at Woodcraft. The owner and one of his employees delivered and assembled them in my garage.

If you can get the dealer to assemble stuff in your basement maybe that would solve your problem. Why don't you ask them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keehn View Post
    I bought my cabinet saw and my 18" bandsaw at Woodcraft. The owner and one of his employees delivered and assembled them in my garage.

If you can get the dealer to assemble stuff in your basement maybe that would solve your problem. Why don't you ask them?
    I wish I could get that deal here. I bought my bandsaw at WC, and will also get the SawStop from them (being the only dealer around here). Unfortunately, last I checked they would only do liftgate to my driveway. Maybe I'll swing by tonight on the way home and ask again.

most tools come unassembled. just get a friend or two to help you carry the individual parts down stairs. the heavest thing on a table saw would probably be the cast iron top or the motor, by themselves neither should be that bad to carry

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Michael,
    The smart thing to do is hire pros to do it for you. You would be amazed at how efficient professional movers can be. Make sure you check out the movers credentials because there are some fly by night guys out there that would be worse than your doing it your self.

David got it. I saw this done is Castle Rock with a huge set of Euro tools. Look in the yellow pages for "Rigging Company". They will come and set up pulleys and hoisting gear and won't ding up your walls / stairs. Since they do it all the time they know a few tricks.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-15-2009 at 6:22 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

You could ask them to deliver it unassembled. Check with the employees and see if any of them are willing to come over after work and help you move it and set it up for some extra money. My experience is that a number of those guys do that all the time. The Sawstop goes together pretty easy and the manuals are well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    most tools come unassembled. just get a friend or two to help you carry the individual parts down stairs. the heavest thing on a table saw would probably be the cast iron top or the motor, by themselves neither should be that bad to carry
    Thats true. But if you pay for them to assemble it, you can't be sure if they will assemble it on site or in the store before delivery. I've seen them do both.