Thread: Design Ideas for New Desk

Design Ideas for New Desk

I’m starting to plan for a remodel of my home office (retirement is just around the corner). I am hoping to build a desk that no longer faces the wall, but that sits in the middle of the room. By itself, that is no great problem, HOWEVER if you examine the attached picture, you may notice that I need to accommodate three computer monitors. If I had a choice, I’d rather not have these monitors blocking my view during times when I am not using them so what I have in mind is building a desk with an integrated lift so that they can be lowered into the desk when not in use.

Does any know of REASONABLY priced motorized lifts (like used for flat screen LCD TV’s). The ones I have seen are stupid expensive.

Thanks,

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Those expensive TV lifts have electric motors and position sensors and remote controls and such. Maybe you don't need all that. Could you devise a lift scheme powered by your own hand? You're right there at the desk, so you don't need remote control. Consider a double-hung window. It doesn't have motors and such, but it goes up and down quite well. You could use similar techology -- wood sliding channels, and counterweights. Or you could use Accuride-type ball-bearing full-extension drawer slides, and counter weights.

Just a thought...

what about something like Sewing Machine lifts such as this?

Hmm, how about abandoning the monitors and getting a couple of projectors? Project against the wall facing your desk. Mount behind you. Out of the way, large display area, way cool. Very James Bond villain :-)
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lewis View Post
    what about something like Sewing Machine lifts such as this?
    You know what? This is a great idea Dirk!!!

I think my monitors weigh in at around 12 pounds each, so the weight should not be a factor. The only potential drawback might be the lift height but maybe if I remove the mointors from their stands and mount them to a solid back panel (using standard VESA hardware) it might do the trick.

Have you ever used one of these lifts?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by tim rowledge View Post
    Hmm, how about abandoning the monitors and getting a couple of projectors? Project against the wall facing your desk. Mount behind you. Out of the way, large display area, way cool. Very James Bond villain :-)
    Yeah very cool- I agree. I don't think I could get away with that for a couple of reasons, not the least of which would be the investment in the projectors (of which I would probably want three, not two). My wife is already not exactly delighted with the $$$ for three monitors

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Those expensive TV lifts have electric motors and position sensors and remote controls and such. Maybe you don't need all that. Could you devise a lift scheme powered by your own hand? You're right there at the desk, so you don't need remote control. Consider a double-hung window. It doesn't have motors and such, but it goes up and down quite well. You could use similar techology -- wood sliding channels, and counterweights. Or you could use Accuride-type ball-bearing full-extension drawer slides, and counter weights.
    I've just begun designing a entertainment credenza with this idea. No need for the motors, sensors etc. since this is for my use. If I were to sell the idea it would warrant the cost of the lift as well as the "gee whiz" factor.

Counterweights, cables and pulleys should do this very well with engineering even a woodworker can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. Espinoza View Post
    Counterweights, cables and pulleys should do this very well with engineering even a woodworker can handle.
    The straightforward way to engineer it would be to use the counterweights to just counterbalance the weight of the monitor, and to use friction (like a window does) or a latch to keep the monitor in your desired position. A more-advanced approach would use eccentric pulleys. Eccentric pulleys are used in compound bows (y'know, like bow and arrow). In a bow, they get used to reduce the force necessary to hold the bow in the cocked position, but then apply the full force of the bow as it is accelerating the arrow. In a monitor lift, I think they could be used to increase the lifting force right near the viewing position of the monitor (that is, fully up), and to decrease the lifting force right near the stowed position of the monitor (that is, fully down). That would give the monitor the feeling of having detents at the viewing position and the stowed position, and still provide comfortable support for the monitor between those two positions.

Blog Entries
    I would think of something powered by the legs could fit the bill.

If you have a rolling chair, you may need to add a hand hold.

jim