Thread: Mediocre cabinet for HfH

Mediocre cabinet for HfH

Here is a cabinet that I made for the local Habitat for Humanity. It was kind of a rush job, and I wasn't happy with the way it turned out. It's a great 2 foot+ project, in other words, from 2 feet, it's nice, but close inspection will reveal its many flaws.

The main wood is some Ohio maple, and the insert in the middle of the b ack is walnut with a maple inlay

the fronts of the drawers are the only think I like about the project, they are Oregon Claro walnut ! a beautiful piece of wood.

Criticism is expected on this !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

That is a beautiful piece of walnut!

I can't find any flaws. It looks good to me and is for a great cause.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Come on Mark, don't be hard on yourself! Okay, I'll take a stab at being critical.

a. The wine is white.
    b. It looks like a screw cap.
    c. It could quite possibly be non-Californian. Australia
    d. Lastly, it's white wine.

Okay, okay. Seriously, I don't know what you're thinking we're going to say. The wood looks fantastic! That cabinet is well designed. Did you use sliding dovetails for the sides?

It looks great. Certainly worthy of a nice California red meritage from Paso Say a L'aventure or a Justin.

What do you see wrong with your cabinet? Woodworkers always see the flaws in their own work.

Looks good to my eye. Was this for auction or install in a home?

Nice work.

Looks pretty good to me too Mark.

We are our own worst critiques...

Mark,

It is absolutely lovely. This is a nice balance of contrast and figure... IMO, usually maple and walnut go too far against each other. The figured walnut speaks for itself very well in the drawer fronts. I also like your centered bookmatch front panel. Very nice.

If you were to rebuild this, my main criticism is distractions - too many distractions from the beautiful wood:
    - consider dropping the stripe in the back panel... it detracts from the drawers
    - the floating top seems out of place... although it doesn't need to be symmetric, it seems unbalanced... and also distracts from the panel.

Obviously these opinions reflect my own taste... so take them with all the salt they deserve.

-b

Looks great to me? As said before by others, as a wood worker, you will always see things in you own work that no one else will ever see.

Very nice Mark, regardless of the many flaws.... whatever they are?

Lighten up on yourself a bit... I doubt any of us will be asked to replace the furniture in the White House... well.... maybe Tommy M. You might know there are flaws but only my second wife would be able to detect them as she was an expert in the field of finding flaw.

Regards...

Sarge..

I sure don't see anything but a very nice cabinet.

Mark, maybe you could tell us what you see as problems, and how you'd avoid them in the future? That way maybe we can all learn from your perceived mistakes?

GUYS,

Thanks for the nice comments !!!! and criticisms !

a. The wine is white.
    b. It looks like a screw cap.
    c. It could quite possibly be non-Californian. Australia
    d. Lastly, it's white wine.

JASON T OK, Jason, I'll admit, I'm a white wine wuss !!! and this wine was cheap stuff as well !

Was this for auction or install in a home?

ESPINOZA It has been donated to HfH for their next auction

It is absolutely lovely. This is a nice balance of contrast and figure... IMO, usually maple and walnut go too far against each other. The figured walnut speaks for itself very well in the drawer fronts. I also like your centered bookmatch front panel. Very nice.
    BEN, thanks !

If you were to rebuild this, my main criticism is distractions - too many distractions from the beautiful wood:
    - consider dropping the stripe in the back panel... it detracts from the drawers
    I WAS TRYING TO DRAW THE EYE AWAY FROM THE BAD FIT OF THE BACK PANELS!

- the floating top seems out of place... although it doesn't need to be symmetric, it seems unbalanced... and also distracts from the panel. YOU AGREE WITH MY WIFE WHO DIDN'T LIKE THE FLOATING TOP, BUT ANOTHER GUY SAID THAT IS WHAT HE LIKES ABOUT IT

Obviously these opinions reflect my own taste... so take them with all the salt they deserve.

BEN thanks for your comments

Mark, maybe you could tell us what you see as problems, and how you'd avoid them in the future? That way maybe we can all learn from your perceived mistakes?

PHIL The main mistake was the poor fit and finish overall. there are some finishing mistakes that are kinda hard to see, but can be seen. the "floating beams" are not aligned right, the back is a bit off, and the reason for the walnut inlay is that I cut the cherry panels a bit too small and I had to cover up the mistake.

so, I'll have to do better on the next one

Thanks for the comments
    MARK