Thread: Sticky Edges be GONE!

Sticky Edges be GONE!

We've discussed this many times in many threads and the answer is always about the same, to get rid of sticky edges on engraving plastics use Denatured Alcohol. If you call the plastic manufacturers they will tell you a couple of things. One, they will tell you that the stickiness (is that a word?) goes away after a day. I have found that to be false. They also tell you do not use alcohol on their plastics. Then, they will tell you to use Denatured Alcohol to make it go away. So lots of confusion and misinformation.

We make a lot of small pieces with intricate shapes. Anything from Rowmark Lights (thin) to 1/8" thick LaserMark. We get many problems from it. We use air assist and when cutting colors, it tends to blow the color down into the side and stick in the sticky part. So now it's a sticky part with color stuck to it. It's a real mess and when you're doing 100's and 100's of parts, it's a real pain to wipe each one down.

We've been looking for a solution for this for many months now. We have been using DNA, but it's a real pain and doesn't always get the edges clean and free of the color where the air assist has blown the color down into the cut.

Joe mentioned using a product for adhesive removal many months ago and we've been experimenting with a variety of them. We let some plastic soak in each one and every one of them actually ate the plastic up when soaked. So no good news there.

However, there is a product called "Rapid Remover" from rapidtac.com and it works very well. I personally think it works much better than DNA. It works faster, it cleans edges very well and it removes all the sticky edges. Put it on a rag and hit it and it's done. I wouldn't leave a drop of it on anything, because it will ruin the surface, but a very light application on a rag and wiped down the edge shows no signs of damage days later.

Their Rapid Tac product, I believe, actually neutralizes it, so it would be a handy thing to have around and give a final wipe down if you were worried about it.

You can normally get sample bottles from sign supply companies. If you get the chance, check it out, I think you'll be impressed with how well it works.

Thanks again to Joe for pointing us in this direction on another thread.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 01-15-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the tip Steve. Have you tried Ronsonol Lighter Fuel? If so, does this product work better than Ronsonol? I cut a good bit of 2 ply laminate and the lighter fuel has worked best for me.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda,

FYI lighter fluid and Naphtha are pretty much the same only difference is the price. You can get Naphtha in the paint dept at any hardware store.

You may want to try this it also works well for cleaning motion system components on the lasers due to the fact that it leaves no residue behind.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I use Simple Green - "Aircraft & Precision Cleaner". I got a free sample from them when I owned an airplane a few years ago. This stuff works great and isn't flammable like naptha. I put all of the pieces in my utility sink and spray a good coating on everything. Let it soak for a few minutes and rinse off while wiping with a sponge. The stickiness is gone and any soot, residue, etc., is also gone.

FYI - the RapidRemover is just a citrus cleaner, you can probably use any citrus cleaner on the market with the same results. I don't think it works as well, or easily, as the Simple Green though.

Gary

Thanks for the info Mike.

Gary, citrus cleaners don't seem to work for me (or at least the one I have tried). I may give the Simple Green a shot. Can you recommend a source for the "Aircraft and Precision Cleaner" variety? I don't recall seeing anything on the store shelves but basic Simple Green.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, I have not tried lighter fluid. Maybe I should give that a try.

With DNA, I had to scrub and scrub to get the edges clean, with Rapid Remover, it takes little effort at all. It just wipes it off.

Gary, it doesn't appear to be a citrus cleaner. I've tried numerous citrus cleaners and got the same results as Belinda. I've also not heard of the variety of simple green you mention. I have tried normal simple green with no luck either.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have not tried it yet, but I read that WD40 will remove just about any kind of gunk like adhesive residue. It was originally developed as a cleaner but happens to be used for 1000's of other purposes. It will also remove paint.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Belinda, I have not tried lighter fluid. Maybe I should give that a try.
    The lighter fluid works great! I always rinse the parts with water after using it.

Bella Terra

Not sure if this is the best price, but you can look at aircraft spruce for the simple green aircraft.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/09-00809.php

I use to get their catalog when I was flying.

Scott, Are you using anything after using Rapid Remover to remove the smell? I buy it by the gallon and have not tried it on engraved plastic. I use it doing my vinyl sign work and always make sure to take all the paper towels etc outside to the trash when I'm done because of the smell. (citrus) If I am using lots of it I normally put on latex gloves. The guy that owns Rapid Tac's name is Roger. He's a great person. I think there may be a form on his website for free samples. He will send a sample of all his products along with pamplets.

Larry mentioned WD40. WD40 is amazing! It was the 40th try at making a Water Displacement lubricant or something along those lines. There is a website that tells the history and its uses. Good stuff.

John, I'm not currently using anything afterwards, other than using some Rapid Tac if I get any rapid remover on the face of the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Frazee View Post
    Scott, Are you using anything after using Rapid Remover to remove the smell? I buy it by the gallon and have not tried it on engraved plastic. I use it doing my vinyl sign work and always make sure to take all the paper towels etc outside to the trash when I'm done because of the smell. (citrus) If I am using lots of it I normally put on latex gloves. The guy that owns Rapid Tac's name is Roger. He's a great person. I think there may be a form on his website for free samples. He will send a sample of all his products along with pamplets.

Larry mentioned WD40. WD40 is amazing! It was the 40th try at making a Water Displacement lubricant or something along those lines. There is a website that tells the history and its uses. Good stuff.
    Ya, but in the same light, you ought to see the poor guys that tested Preparation A,B,A,D,E,F & G
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it