Thread: Yet another bandsaw purchase choice..

Yet another bandsaw purchase choice..

Okay folks, need some help on this one. I just sold my old Craftsman 12" bandsaw with the aim of replacing it. I am looking at three saws, all 14". One is the Delta 28-276 from Lowes, I can get it for around $330, next is the Jet JWBS-140S from woodcraft for $550 and the last is the Grizzly G0555 for $511.
    This saw will be used for hobby work and to fill in for a table saw to some extent. To make things more intresting I will likely be moving in a couple of years and will either have a BIG shop then or a tiny shop, either way I will either have room to buy a larger saw ( but would prefer not to) or will have to store what ever I have and get a benchtop saw. The question is weather the Delta is a decent saw or should I go ahead and get one of the others. It seems that nobody likes the Delta and the Grizzley is the holy grail of saws. Any advice would be great!
    (Another option is getting the 10" Jet but I would like to be able to at least be able to resaw decient size lumber)
    Thanks

Will, the rikon 10-325 is a 14" saw and it has 13" of resaw capacity... its about $750 but will possibly the last saw youll ever need.and takes up no more room than the others
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

A worthy suggestion but a bit out of my budget, around $500 is what I have to work with ( much more and I will be sleeping on the floor of my shop, what with the lack of a dog house or sofa!)

Another option

Based on the criteria you listed, check out this deal on the Steel City:
    http://www.woodsmithstorespecials.com/main/sale09.html

I'm a big fan of buying quality used equipment. You can get a good machine that you can resell for same money if needed.....so you can unload it when you move.

I have found some machines more difficult to find used.....like good routers, but bandsaws are plentiful. There's always a shop closing or someone upgrading, and they stay put in the shop, so they don't get abused like other machines do ......also they are pretty easy to tune and repair.

My 2 cents.

I too like a good used piece of equipment. Personally I have the Jet open stand 14" I don't resaw much and the BIG saws were out of my range as well. It's been a decent saw through the years, but had I known I'd get a lathe and enjoy turning bowls so much I would have got a bigger band saw. My Dad has the big jet and doesnt like it (he claims you need to take the table off to change blades) I beg to differ -

If in doubt buy bigger - I can't say the JET 14" is THE saw to buy, I have nothing to compare it to. I do know that I've abused mine for many years and it just keeps going.
    Last edited by hank dekeyser; 01-30-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Oddly, my Delta 14" bandsaw is the ONLY machine I ever purchsed NEW in 1993. I still have it, and it still looks like NEW!

But again and again I say, Buy Used! At least look at what is available in your own area on CS or eBay! You can buy *quality* produced in years past, and save some bucks over buying NEW! Newer is not necessisarily Better! (especially these days) Many brands continue to cheapen their stuff down compared to 20 years ago.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 01-30-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

check out ebay

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is an older Powermatic for sale on ebay. It's a government sale and the machine is located in Atlanta, GA.

Will, I bought one of the delta's from Lowes. I think it is a good deal for the price. It has the quick release blade tension arm. That alone will cost you $150 to add to an older saw. It also has urethane tires. Last the pulleys are machined from solid steel not cast aluminum or pot metal. Also I have found the service and support from Delta to be excellent. The Delta saw is no Laguna, but it is not Laguna price either. Hope this helps

Loren

I'd definitely take the Delta off the list. Delta's quality and service lately have gone so far down the crapper that they really aren't worth the effort at any price. Either the JET or grizzly will probably serve you well. Or something used. Buy the biggest and best you can afford.

Well went ahead with the delta, negotiations with the other half revealed a curious lack of enthusiasm regarding other choices. I was impressed with the assembly instructions I would say a 8 out of 10. I also got the Kreg fence which I will install tomorrow. So far so good.

BTW, The top of this thing was a real joy to put together by yourself...