Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Table

Entry Table

Here is one of our latest projects. My wife and I just moved into our first house and we had an empty space in need of a table.

The table is made of African Mahogany with a Curly Maple veneer center. Getting the miters just right on the top was a challenge but we finally got the saw set. The front is two drawers but we can't decide if we want to add hardware or leave them as is. Opinions welcome on the drawer pulls.

Thanks!
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking table, I like the contrast. As for hardware or not, if the drawers can be opened easily without adding hardware, I think that would be a better look. Just my opinion. Great job on the table either way.

Very nicely done. I like the wood combos. I can appreciate what you went through with the miters - they are brutal sometimes. Even when you get the saw setup, you then have the gluing issues. I vote for hardware on the drawers.

Nice table Tom.
    I vote for simple hardware to compliment the Hepplewhite tapered legs. I think it would give it that little extra to show off the piece. Knobs alone might not be quite enough, But if chosen, my selection would be for something like this. http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/knobs/sheratonknobs

For pulls, I'd consider http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...ls/hepplewhite

or

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/.../rosettedrawer

Even the finish of the hardware makes quite a difference in the appearance of the piece.

wow.. awesome! i have the maple and walnut for a similar design i had in mind.

how did you join the top to the hidden posts on the 4 corners?

That's a beautiful table. I really like the nice clean lines and choice of woods.

Very nice. I like the use of the contrasting maple. Nice touch.

Very nicely done indeed!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

If you turn what would you think about small ebony knobs?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Well done.. nice balance and a nice color on that wall which you may or may not be responsible for?

Sarge..

Nice. Can you post a pic or two of one of the draw's opened?

Michael

Thank you for all the compliments. The wall color was my builders doing but we do like them. I questioned the use of contrasting wood but really love how it came out.

I'm still debating between the brass and turned pulls. I do have a sister that really enjoys turning so I might ask her. I like the idea of ebony knobs though.
    We added the recess below the top as a last minute thought. Took just a little router and chisel work. As for joining the top, I used the flush mount figure 8 hardware from woodcraft. I was clueless on that. Is there a better way to attach the top?

I had intended to try my first set of half blind dovetails on the drawers but made a mistake on the sides trying to get it finished before a house warming party! Oops. I'll take a picture of one open and post it shortly. They aren't my best set of drawers but then again we rarely open them.

Thanks!
    Tom

Drawer Pictures

Here are pictures with the drawer open. Like I said not my most impressive drawers but I did learn from them. You can see the reveal routed on the top front edge. The same reveal was done all the way around the sides, back and legs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work. I favor handmade wood pulls for the drawers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very elogant. The wood combination choice looks really nice, especially with the figuring on the maple.
    -Jeff