Thread: Spraying Nitro & Acrylic

Spraying Nitro & Acrylic

I am building guitars. I want to finish in Nitro. Maybe one day Acrylic.

I have a 60 gallon Kobalt. It has an add on regulator. I know I need filters etc. BTW, I saw a 2001 NOS Devillbiss HVLP gravity feed gun over in the classifieds ($110). Is it something I can use? I believe I read about using HVLP with compressors (other than HVLP turbines).

So, can somebody take me from the regulator to the nozzle? (filters, regulators, guns?)

BTW, I heard that double filtering, centrigugal filtering, and a regulator at the gun is a good idea...

TIA,

Mike

For NC lacquer you also have to be aware of how you deal with the potentially explosive solvents.

There are a lot of ways to filter. Generally it is better to get some good filters for the air line. I run all my air off permanent lines and the drops collect some water, I also have a water filter just before the short hose that goes to the gun. You want a filter that will allow a substantial amount of air to flow.

I have that gun and it sprays fine and is easy to use. Mine is a top cup and I prefer them for almost everything. Not sure if that one is or not. Even a siphon gun is easy to handle and clean.

I hesitate to tell anyone to spray any solvent base finishes without proper spray rooms because of the hazards. People do it all the time without incident but that doesn't make it safe or desirable to do so.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I spray with nitro lacquer frequently. I used to pump up my air compressor then shut it off before spraying. A couple of years ago I moved my compressor to a storage building and ran an air line under ground to my shop. You don't want the compressor motor to kick on when you shop is full of lacquer fumes, the spark may ignite the fumes and more than ruin your day.

I also found it impossible to spray lacquer without a very high-end cannister style respirator.

...its a siphon feed.

I will be using a spray booth (small)

Mike

Mike...

..I've done several guitar finishes in lacquer and automotive lacquers and enamels. I have used siphon and HVLP guns. It doesn't really matter. It's all hand work anyway. Lot's of wet-dry sanding and polishing.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain