Thread: Questions on responding to a Post on SMC

Questions on responding to a Post on SMC

I have some questions on responding to a post on SMC --- I’m assuming they are all have fairly simple answers but for the life of me, I can’t figure them out (and I'm sure I'll feel stupid when I do find the answers).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -Note: Question 1. has been answered by Lee Schierer, see answer below-

1. I have added pictures to emails and Word Perfect documentation but have not been able to add them to the forum. Is there a writeup somewhere that explains how it is done? I have tried to copy both an email and Word Perfect documents with pictures to the forum and the picturs did not work.
    -Thanks Lee, should have everything up and running by tonight-
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. When generating a response to a post, is there an automatic way to have the title of the post copied to the title in the response? I currently select/cut/paste it.

3. Is there a way of doing spell checking in a forum response. I currently copy it to Word Perfect, do the spell checking thing, update the forum and then submit. Also, the ability to use the dictionary and thesaurus would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Joe
    Last edited by Joseph N. Myers; 06-25-2004 at 1:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Posting photos is pretty easy here. If your photos are already posted on your web site or other accessible website then just insert the image in the text by clicking on the icon witht he two mountain peks at the top of the writing space in teh message form. If the photos are not on teh web then you go to the bottom of the "post a reply" form you will see a tab that says "manage attachements." Click on the tab and new widow will open with a blank where you can type int eh location of the file and file name you want to upload or use the browse tab in that windo to browse through your computer directory and click on the file. Once the name of the file appears in the blank window click on the upload button and you file will be uploaded.

The file must be a bmp cdr doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt xls zip type file and it must be smaller than 60K. It atake a few minutes for the file to upload and be processed. Use the "Preview Post" button to view the post and insure your pictures are there.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph N. Myers
    1. I have added pictures to emails and Word Perfect documentation but have not been able to add them to the forum. Is there a writeup somewhere that explains how it is done? I have tried to copy both an email and Word Perfect documents with pictures to the forum and the picturs did not work.
    John Miliunas has posted an excellent tutorial right here in the Support forum. Do a search here with "Post pictures".

2. When generating a response to a post, is there an automatic way to have the title of the post copied to the title in the response? I currently select/cut/paste it.
    As far as I can tell, this won't happen automatically. You can push "quote" to get the question preprinted for you (like I did here to respond to you) but the title won't follow along. I generally don't fill in the Title space and most people posting here don't either.

3. Is there a way of doing spell checking in a forum response. I currently copy it to Word Perfect, do the spell checking thing, update the forum and then submit. Also, the ability to use the dictionary and thesaurus would be helpful.
    Tyler Howell has this issue as well (spelling challenges ) so do a search on "Spell checking" and you should get some useful hits.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-25-2004 at 3:12 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks in advance, Joe[/QUOTE]

Google iespell and download it. works great.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

picture test upload

picture test --- 1mb = 432kb, @99% >>> 94kb,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

I use iespell checker, a freebie I downloaded that works in Internet Explorer. It was recommended by someone here or someone back at the Old Badger Pond, don't remember. Anyhow, it's a free download at http://www.iespell.com/ I've been using it for some time now and never had a problem with it. Give it a try ..........

I am not associated in any way with whoever produces iespell, just a happy user.

That's funny, they report iespell as being misspelled !!
    Tony

Dusting this very old thread off.....is there a setting that allows me to get an email notification to a post that I've commented on? I've been through the Profile menu and don't see that anywhere as a setting.

Regards,
    Frank

Right above the posts, on the right side, you'll see "thread tools". Click on it, and choose "subscribe to thread".

If you want to subscribe automatically, see the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" setting in your General Settings.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Frank, go to Settings > General Settings, and scroll down to Messaging & Notification / Default Thread Subscription Mode. From the drop down you can select how you want to be notified of subscribed thread activity.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks, Bruce!

Thanks, Gerry!