Thread: Prefinishing frame and panel doors?

Prefinishing frame and panel doors?

Conventional wisdom says to prefinish the panel before glue-up on frame and panel construction. I get that... you don't want wood movement to reveal unstained/unfinished wood down the road.

My question is what about the rails/stiles? Do folks prefinish those also?

I'm a newbie when it comes to HVLP sprayers, but I can't fathom how one could get a uniform look between the rails and stiles and the center panel (esp if applying toning coats in the finishing schedule) unless this is done.

I was thinking that one could follow the finishing schedule for all the frame and panel parts up to the first topcoat, assemble everything, and then spray the remainder of the topcoats after final glue-up.

Do folks have a better plan of attack that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks

Andy

It would be difficult to pre-finish rails/stiles simply because there is often a lot of sanding/scraping necessary to level and prepare them for finish in addition to fit adjustments for the opening they will be going into. Pre-finishing of panels is usually only partial...color and sealing...so that when you finish the whole assembly, color will be balanced. (your "clear" coats will generally alter the color, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim

So I shouldn't worry about any overspray onto the center panel when I go back later to apply the same color/sealing on the rails and stiles? That's the part I was unsure of...

If applying by hand, I wouldn't have too big a concern as its easier to keep the finish off the center panels.

Thx again

Andy

Center panels..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    Thanks Jim

So I shouldn't worry about any overspray onto the center panel when I go back later to apply the same color/sealing on the rails and stiles? That's the part I was unsure of...

If applying by hand, I wouldn't have too big a concern as its easier to keep the finish off the center panels.

Thx again

Andy
    I have always made my center panels to fit snug, not lock tight. I stain the entire door after assembly. There is enough "play" in the panel to allow the stain to penetrate beyond the style and rails.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    Thanks Jim

Thx again

Andy
    this is where colored shellac works really well.

the more coats you add, the more previous layers will blend. after 5 or 6 coats, the color on the whole door is uniform, even if the panels got a couple of coats first. add a satin/wax top coat of choice and you're done.

that's how i do my doors.

example...

Last edited by Neal Clayton; 01-16-2009 at 3:43 PM.