Thread: shopfox bandsaw

shopfox bandsaw

I am looking for a small bandsaw and found the 9" shopfox, does anyone have any thoughts on this saw or is there another small bandsaw out there. Don't have much space, need for a big saw. At 159.00 seems like a good buy. What do you guys think of shopfox?

I don't know anything about that one but I do know a few woodworkers who have and like the 10" Craftsman BS.

I was going to get the Craftsman but they are out of stock and won't be available until mid to end of Feb.

what? Nobody can me any advice on buying a bandsaw? Or is the bandsaw too small for anyone to give me advice.

I have never seen the Shop Fox BS (how cute!) but I do have an older Delta 12" that is great, and you could get it used for probably less money than a new Shop Fox.

Why such a small saw? Are you thinking scroll saw? With my Delta I can put on a 1/8" blade and get down real tight, but still have the 12" cut capacity as well as almost 6" resaw height.

Carlos

Money, and space are the first reasons for a small saw, mainly space. Also I haven't built anything large and I don't do much re-sawing. this would be my first bandsaw.

If I were to buy a BS that size, I would go to CraigsList. There are lots for sale in that size range, as people sell the small ones to upsize. There is not a whole lot of difference on those saws, as long as you dont get a "Tool Shop" brand. Delta's, Jets, Crapsman, Ryobi should be plentiful.

Ryan, I would go with Carlos's advice on getting a scroll saw instead. 25 years ago, we had a small craft business. Two of us owned the Delta Rockwell 10" bandsaw. We had a difficult time keeping the blades tracking true. I think the main problem was using a .125 blade. It would work but it was a pain. I kept looking at the scroll saw and back then it was priced double what it is now. Keep an eye on ebay and craigs list. The little time waiting for one to pop up may allow you to save a few more dollars for a quality scroll saw. John