Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions of 650 CFM collector

opinions of 650 CFM collector

Hey all:

I searched this forum and google in general for opinions, but am still on the fence - I get yeas and nays. So I'll just ask directly.

My local power tool store is having a sale on a Jet 1HP 650 cfm dust collector, including the cannister filter, for $299. I have never had a dust collector, only used my loud and not so good Craftsman shop vac. The price is tempting, but I'm wondering if it's enough ooomph.

I very occasionally run my table saw (Jet contractor's saw with a homemade panel on the back and kind of sealed bottom), often use my band saw, and sometimes use my Random Orbital sander or my Delta belt/disc sander. I don't find that my drill press or jointer makes a great deal of dust, just a lot of mess. I do sometimes run my router which of course is a huge dust maker.

I do maybe a few hours a day, things like musical instruments and boxes, and would like to start doing a bit of furniture.

This Jet dc looks good on paper, because I'm only going to be using it one machine at a time. It won't be on a great deal. I also wear a respirator when doing sanding (really necessary.)

Anyone have a 650 cfm dc? How is it holding up? Do you wish for more even with a small garage shop, one tool at a time setup?
    Should I bite the bullet and go for an 1100 cfm unit, or is this an especially good buy for a dc that appears to meet my needs? I was kinda in the market for a dc and while getting some sandpaper just happened to see this for sale. ("Really, honey, it's an excellent deal, and I wasn't OUT looking for a new tool or anything like that, it just followed me home.")

Thanks in advance,
    Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos Alden; 01-14-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Are you talking about this one?
    100_0983.jpg
    Yes it is a beast. I have it running my whole 20x20 shop just fine. Any questions just ask away!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

It doesn't sound like you make a lot of dust. Or that you can easily collect the dust that you do make. So a 1Hp system should do fine as long as your expectations are low to reasonable.

If its this machine with 30 micron bags I would say no. You really want 1 micron bags or canister. Expect to pay around a 100 dollars for the canister upgrade. A better deal would be the 1 1/2 hp Delta 50-760 with the 1 micron bags. I've seen that unit on sale for low 3 hundreds.

I've been using a Pen State 1hp dust collector for years. Last weekend I decided it was time to move on and get something bigger. The Delta unit should be here tommorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search63032-20

~mark

I just noticed your original post said it came with the canister so ignore my post about 30 micron bags not cutting it. 650 CFM isn't great though.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    If its this machine with 30 micron bags I would say no. You really want 1 micron bags or canister. Expect to pay around a 100 dollars for the canister upgrade. A better deal would be the 1 1/2 hp Delta 50-760 with the 1 micron bags. I've seen that unit on sale for low 3 hundreds.

I've been using a Pen State 1hp dust collector for years. Last weekend I decided it was time to move on and get something bigger. The Delta unit should be here tommorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search63032-20

~mark
    Mark,
    If it is a model like mine, the bags are plastic (Zero micron?)
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I just noticed your original post said it came with the canister so ignore my post about 30 micron bags not cutting it. 650 CFM isn't great though.

~mark

Sorry Mark,
    Our posts collided in cyberspace
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Are you talking about this one?
    100_0983.jpg
    Yes it is a beast. I have it running my whole 20x20 shop just fine. Any questions just ask away!
    Dewey:

Yes, that's it, including the Dust Dog cannister. I guess my big question is: does it effectively capture the fine stuff as well as the obvious dust from the tools? What are your uses exactly? How long are your conduit runs?

"A beast" sounds really good, though! My shop is a little bigger than yours - a 24x21 garage.

Thanks,
    Carlos

Let me show you my DC runs.

Pics are from the DC to the end in both directions.

Again... all the Naysayers should comment if they have owned this system.

I feel no need for upgrade but I am not grading mt DC / CFM by Bill Pentz either. It along with an overhead air filtration system keeps my buggers white ok?

These are from right to left
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dewey

And these from left to right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dewey

Carlos, the "650 CFM" they show you in the specs is a free-air number and not achievable in the real world with something of that configuration. It's not a bad machine...I started out with the Jet DC650 years ago...but it's a one-machine, one hose, chip collector. It will help you keep things clean if you use it that way, but you should still use personal protection from fines when appropriate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My 20' x 30' shop uses that Jet model except mine has two cloth bags. It's installed under a lean-to outside and the 4" PVC comes under the soffit. Used 84' of PVC S&D and 12' total of hose. Lowes carries 22 1/2° fittings. All changes of direction are either wyes or two 45°'s. Clean-outs in the end of all runs. The system works perfactly fine for using one machine at a time, which is all one person can do anyway. Got the unit on CL for $100 including an amazing number of fittings

Yes,
    I should have added that I have blast gates set up for each machine and I close off all the gates except the one tool I am using so effectively it is a one tool machine hooked up to my whole shop and it works like a charm for my usage.
    Dewey

I have a Delta 650 CFM dust collector. It is plenty for a contractor type saw, a small jointer or lunch box planer, as long as they are used one at a time. The key is the filtration. I upgraded from two cloth bags to a plastic bag on the bottom, and a canister filter on top. I got both from Wynn Environmental. Air flow improved and I get less dust in the shop.

Great advice

All:

Thanks for the good advice and discussion. Although I was ready to buy a 650 cfm Jet unit, I was still kind of waffling, wondering if I really wanted something beefier and ought to just spend the money down.

TodayI saw a craigslist offering by a local store cleaning out back stock. I picked up a Jet 1100 cfm unit with a filter cannister (Dust Dog) on top, $230, which is bordering on gloatworthiness . It's bigger than the 650 cfm dust collector, and will be more of a presence in my garage shop, but the suction will be much greater and I'll be able to grow with it better should I need more. It's also a LOT cheaper than the $300 I was ready to pay for the smaller Jet.

I set it up and used it as a vacuum to do some quick cleaning, and was astounded at the air flow. I'm so used to the shop vac that has high velocity but into a little tiny opening. Much different. It was significantly quiter than the screamin' shop vac, too.

Carlos