Thread: DC piping size

DC piping size

I see some people changing there Jet and HF dust collectors over to 6" ducting to improve its performance and had a question regarding the output to the bag/filter. It looks like most have a 5" outlet and hose to the bag/filter part. How does that affect the change of the inlet to 6"? It would seem that if you changed the inlet to 6" then the outlet would need up sized as well. I do realize its a much shorter run and maybe thats why it would be o.k. Any thoughts?

when I had my Jet DC1100 it had an approx. 6" inlet. I simply made a very thin "donut" and made the PVC fit tight over the flange. added some foil tape and it was sucking pretty good.

not sure about the size of the HF inlet but I believe that most of the outlets are all the same size.

You're absolutely right. The Fan-to-bags connection may verywell be a limiting factor. I do know that bumping up to 6" on my Jet 1100DC was a HUGE improvement in performance, but maybe it's not quite the full performance going to 6" would be if it didn't have that silly 5" outlet.

I have considered fabricating up a ring on both ends and at least connecting the two with 6" hose but I don't know if that'd really have a lot of bang for the buck (6" flex is very expensive!). Another thing I worry about is overloading the motor. Moving more air draws more amperage and I'd probably want to keep an amp meter on there to make sure she isn't pulling too many electrons and shortening her life.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com