Thread: Dust collector flex pipe?

Dust collector flex pipe?

Within the past year I saw a post refering to flexible hose for dust collectors that was smooth in the inside, but still had the metal spiral around the outside. I have search the creek, but didn't find anything.

Does anyone recall the company selling the smooth flex hose?
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken

PM Terry Hatfield. If I remember He uses the clear flex that is smooth inside.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    PM Terry Hatfield. If I remember He uses the clear flex that is smooth inside.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I'll send Terry a note
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Thanks Steve, I'll send Terry a note

Ken, please post his response. Thanks, Tony.
    Tony

I'm not sure what Terry is using, but I very much like the clear flex from Oneida. It's relatively smooth inside and heavy. The only other flex I've used is some "really flexible" stuff from Penn State Industries that is smooth inside when completely stretched out. But I've moved away from that on my stationary machines and only use it for the router table and the hose to the hood on the lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How big?

Amazon and Lee Valley have it for vacuum size - router use and miter saw on the jobsite and such.

Large diameter?

I got some 4 inch from Japanwoodworker that is grey and is nearly smooth on the inside......
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

This is a quote from John Renzetti , I followed his advice about 5 years ago and it is great durable hose and is smooth on the inside with the wire in it.

I've used the Rubber Tough clear-view Thermoplastic urethane
    flex from McMaster-Carr for about 6 yrs. Great stuff. I think the price per
    foot for the 5" size is around $8/ft. Nice thing is that you can buy in five
    foot increments. part number for this size is 5136K27 website is
    www.mcmaster.com
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Wynn Environmental

Since Terry hasn't chimed in yet, I can tell you that he used the flex from Wynn Environmental. On his recommendation, I bought some 5" and 6" for the modest system I just finished building and it's nice, but pricey. 5"=$79; 6"=$84 (both for 25' lengths). Actually, it's the shipping that's a killer-UPS oversized gets up there.

I hope it's ok to post their URL. http://www.wynnenv.com/. If not, and the address gets removed, just google.

HTH,
    Tony

Sorry to be so tardy......

Like Tony said, Wynn's is the place. Here is the link to their hose page. I just used the PVC. It is super tough and pretty smooth on the inside. Wynn's prices are as cheap as I have seen this type of hose anywhere and Rick Wynn is a super guy to deal with.

http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

you guys might laugh but i have been using it for over a year now without problems and actually prefer it to real dust collection hose but i use 4" dryer vent hose. the white plastic kind.

It's lightweight has a wire reinforcment and can be compacted to about 8 inches in length when not in use.

total cost is $2.50 for a 10 foot span

i even use the flexible aluminum dryer hose for the run to my T.S. and to my B.S.

I have a section of 6" aluminum dryer/vent hose that normally sells for 8 bucks for an 8' (extended) length. It runs between a homemade blast gate and a metal fitting that goes behind the miter saw. Seems to work pretty well, flexible enough to have some play, but stiff enough not to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Sorry to be so tardy......

Like Tony said, Wynn's is the place. Here is the link to their hose page. I just used the PVC. It is super tough and pretty smooth on the inside. Wynn's prices are as cheap as I have seen this type of hose anywhere and Rick Wynn is a super guy to deal with.

http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

Terry
    Terry, I called and ordered the 06PVC this morning. At $43/10' I thought it was a reasonable price. Thanks for the help
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    I have a section of 6" aluminum dryer/vent hose...Seems to work pretty well, flexible enough to have some play, but stiff enough not to collapse.
    Many of the DC systems that folks are installing today would easily collapse the aluminum flex hose if there is not a significant amount of leakage in the system to compensate. They can generate a lot more airflow and pressue drop than the smaller DCs that many of us started out with. What might work well for flexible duct connections now, may very well not work later if you upgrade your system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...