Thread: Old Delta Bandsaw

Old Delta Bandsaw

Today I went and looked at an older bandsaw and it appears in great shape. Is there anything I should look out for? I've never had a bandsaw before but I ran it and ran several boards through it and it cut fine and the blade tracked well. It's a Delta Duro 15" production model bandsaw; 8 1/4" max resaw, with a 1/2 hp motor. It takes a 104" blade and the guy said he would throw in about ten of them if I bought it. I'm guessing that it is between 50-60 yrs. old. There wasn't any rust the only thing wrong is the tires are worn out. Do you guys think this would be a good one to buy?
    Travis

Look out for 3-phase motors.

I did a google search and found the following link.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=270.

According to that, there are no parts available for that equipment. Tires depending on the size of the wheels may be found with a little searching.

Based on that, I don't think I would be willing to pay much for it.

Thanks guys. I will look at it again and see if I can get a good price on it. All the parts are there and it is in great working order, so I don't forsee needing to replace any parts most likely.
    Travis

The only 'consumable' parts you'll likely need will be bearings and tires. The bearings are most likely a 'stock' size that any decent bearing sshop will either have, or can order, and the tires can be made to order by Suffolk Machinery (or others). So, if it's got a single phase motor, or if you don't mind buying/building a phase converter, it should be a good saw.

One question, though - is it really only a half horspower motor? Most of today's 16" saws are using 1½ hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    The only 'consumable' parts you'll likely need will be bearings and tires. The bearings are most likely a 'stock' size that any decent bearing sshop will either have, or can order, and the tires can be made to order by Suffolk Machinery (or others). So, if it's got a single phase motor, or if you don't mind buying/building a phase converter, it should be a good saw.

One question, though - is it really only a half horspower motor? Most of today's 16" saws are using 1½ hp.
    Thanks Jim. Thanks for the tip on the tires. It is probably 45 years old and only has a 1/2 horse motor. I might upgrade it to something a little more substantial though if I buy it. I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up but will have to look at it one more time.
    Travis