Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No scaled grips for me

Unhappy No scaled grips for me

After all the help I got adding those scales to the 1911 grip drawing, my laser just burns them as one flat item.

I tired a bunch of different settings and speeds. Still the same.

I thought the dot density might have given a 3D effect, but the printer driver just has the laser full on.

Ahhh well, it is a 1992 model laser running under DOS 6.22 and win3.1 some things are just not meant to be.

p.s. Pardon the dust on the glass window, I didn't see it until I got inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

It may be possible to run multiple different files in succession to achieve different burn levels. Just don't move the piece and register each file to the same location.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Ahhh well, it is a 1992 model laser running under DOS 6.22 and win3.1 some things are just not meant to be.
    I've got a CNC that runs on DOS and I needed to reload it a while back. I went to a computer store (Frys) to buy it and all I got was blank stares. The salesmen didn't even know what DOS was! I then went to a specialty shop and they just gave it to me. Hmmm. Must be getting old.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I've got a CNC that runs on DOS and I needed to reload it a while back.
    Hi Doug, I know what you mean. I still have Borland Pascal 7 for programming for DOS. What's that make me??
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    It may be possible to run multiple different files in succession to achieve different burn levels.
    Thanks Doug,

I will give that a try when I get some more time to spend on it.
    Dave J

Blog Entries
    I'm keeping my disks of DOS 6.22 in a vacuum-sealed case for safe-keeping
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Fish Scale grips for me

Well I am making some progress.

I exported the grips as a BMP in 16-Bit grayscale.

I converted to B&W with a Stucki conversion as it gave more white areas.

I saved it as a BMP then imported it back into Corel.

I have to mess with the power settings a little but I am on my way.

Thanks to all who helped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave J

I still have Borland Pascal 7 for programming for DOS. What's that make me??
    Almost a Delphi Oracle.

(Non-coders might not know that Delphi is what Borland's Pascal became.)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

ok, this is gonna give away my age, but I learned BASIC, PASCAL,COBAL and FORTRAN when I was in college. The only time it could have possibly come into use in recent ages was right before Y2K when everyone was running around like Chicken Little thinking the world was gonna end. Unfortunately for me, by the time it was needed again I had forgotten all those computer languages. And by the way, DOS was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it came out. Now it is just simply a term to make the techie kids's eyes glaze over when you mention it.

My first personal computer was a Timex Sinclair that you hooked to your tv for a monitor and a cassette recorder for your hard drive. Later on I really broke out and got a commodore 128 that I was able to upgrade the memory on it to 1 megabyte. yep, you heard me right! I was THE DUDE back in the day lol. Now days I have trouble figuring out how to program the microwave to not burn popcorn.

Hi Doug, I know what you mean. I still have Borland Pascal 7 for programming for DOS. What's that make me??
    I have a copy of Borland 'C' for dos someplace, but it's probably on 5 1/4" disks, and those drives are getting rarer..
    It's still up on the shelf with the original K&R explaining the language..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    John,

Don't feel too bad... I had a Sinclair myself, along with the thermal printer, 16kB expansion pack, and cassette tape interface for loading programs. Eventually I picked up a Spectrum, which was nothing more than a color version of the Sinclair. I took basic in middle school summer class, but by that time in my "career" I was practically teaching the teacher. Took Pascal in high school, never used it again. Took Fortran in college, used it once to transform a mainframe program written by my boss to this "new" language C (it was starting to become popular by then due to companies like Borland), never used it again. Now I just write in either C/C++ or assembly, nothing in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Don't feel too bad... I had a Sinclair myself, along with the thermal printer,
    Ha! You young whipper snappers. I built my first computer when the Z80 was not even a twinkle in Zilog's eyes. I programmed it with 8 push buttons on the front panel.

My first real over the counter computer was a Tandy model I with 4K of memory, all uppercase output and a cassette tape recorder.

I later bought the expansion interface for the Tandy which gave me a whopping 16K and 5-1/4" single sided 160K floppy drive. The printer was an old 300-baud teletype that I converted.

That floppy soon led to a Micro-something (Microtek I think) hard drive with an unbelievable 5Meg and it was a steal at $3,000 and it came in a box about 18" square and 8" high. By that time I was programming in BASIC and selling programs to Betamax video rental stores. Now I have in my pocket a retractable USB plugged 8G Flash drive that I paid 19-bucks for. Progress! Love it.

Hands up who understands all the wording in this posting. LOL
    Dave J

Computer

Built my own Z-80 based computer back in the early 70's. I remember the Z-80 chip was $350 when I started. I waited as I built and finally bought one for $50. I bet they are around $1 now.

Massive 16K of memory. Used a cassette deck for a tape drive. I had BASIC running on it. My kids played Lunar Lander. All graphics were based on moving text around. Built a custom interface to an IBM Selectric typewriter. Go ahead and ask me about tilt and rotate of the ball at one time I knew to much about that.

Interface was all in machine language. I was always (and still am) amazed at the number of instructions you could perform between things like a small movement of the print ball.

Power supply could also be used for a welder if needed!

Blog Entries
    Now now, DJ, I didn't say my first computer was the Sinclair, just that I owned one at one time My "first" one was like yours... 8 switches to set the bits, a momentary toggle to load the byte and increment the address lines, etc. Can't remember the processor offhand... maybe a 6052, maybe a Z80, don't remember what was popular at the time. Took me an hour or more to load a single program of a few kB, and God forbid I should lose power, hit the toggle too soon, make a mistake in the bit switches, etc. Now I get cranky having to wait two minutes for a few GigaByte OS to load automatically when I flip the power switch.

Things sure have come a long way...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    Power supply could also be used for a welder if needed!
    You win Pete, I had forgotten about those honking great things. Keep a small house warm on a Winters day.

Dan: Sorry for my hasty reply.

Compared to those Bit selection switches, when I was using punch cards, I used to think how lucky I was that I could just get another card and re-punch. The fore-runner to cut and paste.

[EDIT]
    Actually I think my first computer used an 8080 or maybe an 8008
    [/EDIT]

Ahhhh, back to reality and returning hijacked thread to normal service. Sorry Mods, an old man got carried away down memory lane. (pun intended)
    Last edited by Dave Johnson29; 01-19-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Tired old memory spurt!
    Dave J