Thread: Katana router bits?

Question Katana router bits?

Yes, I'm pretty stuck on Whitesides, but LOML found a particular profile offered through MLCS, which I can't seem to locate from Whiteside or even several other OEM's. Anyone out there have experience with Katana bits? I seem to recall someone, way back when, mention that they're pretty good. They show great specs, but I just want to be sure before plunking down some hard-earned $$$. Muchos gracias!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Katana cutters are MCLS's "better" version of bits. Lovely maroon color, too... If they are the only one that has the profile you want, you're not risking much by buying these.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Hi John - I've had some experience with Whiteside, MLCS and their Katana. The Whiteside is tough to beat in terms of quality of construction, longevity and cut, but I've had good results with several of the MLCS bits for hobbyist use too. I've got one of their Katana bits, which they bill as a step up from their MLCS line, and have been quite pleased with it.

The problem I have with evaluating any bit is that if it's not total junk the first couple of times I use it, it can take some time to see how well the cheaper ones last...most seem to do a good job when they're new, so I guess if you're looking for a unique profile that won't see a ton of use, you really can't go wrong trying the Katana.

John,

I have one Katana bit (back cutter) that I bought for the same reason, they were the only ones that I could find with the profile I wanted. I've used it mutliple times and it has performed quite well. The free shipping and quick delivery aren't bad either. Like you, I generally prefer Whiteside but the Katana is certainly acceptable.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Thanks for the advice/insights, gentlemen. It is now unanimous. The order is in and I'll be finding out for myself. Gracias!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Katana router bits?

John,

I'm not sure if they normally include it in your order but assuming they don't, ask them for a copy of their "Technical Manual" --- its 32 pages of technical information and hints on the use of the more tricky bits. They give the part numbers (both MLCS and Katana if applicable) but not the price.

I was in there last week (go every 3 months or so) and they have really gotten some additional stuff in, "upgraded" as they said. It's good because since Woodworker's Warehouse closed, its been harder to get things locally.

Regards, Joe

Joe, don't forget Woodworker's Haven in Southampton...best place in the area to do business. IMHO. Independent, great service and real woodworkers running the place for years now. John and Frank are great folks.
    --

Katana router bits?

Jim,

Thanks for mentioning Woodworkers Haven in Southampton. They do have a great selection of things for such a small store and carry a lot of speciality tools for wood turning and the likes. I actually do use them for things like baltic birch, exotic woods, stains (Watco) and a few other items. And on those items, their prices are quite reasonable.

Other items are really priced high and sometimes do not make sense. For instance, a pint of Tilebond III goes for $10.59, a gallon at Lowe's goes for $25.00 (I use a lot of glue). Two pair of bed supports go for $10.00, 4 pair for $10.00 through mail order. And their draw slides are also quite expensive. So in general, their hardware is over twice as much. Granted, if I need something is a hurry, I do go there and don't mind paying for the convience but anything of quantity I mail order. Especially when they have catalog places for hardware such as CSH, 1-800-882-0009, www.cshardware.com.

Thinking about Woodworkers Haven, I was in there about a month ago and think I talked you. You (or who ever) was going to the UK that weekend (about the time you were going) and I asked you where abouts (as I have been there a few times). I was the 60ist, 6'3" guy just looking around (but there seems to be a lot of 60ist guys looking around in there). No big deal but interesting.

Regards, Joe

Yea, WWH isn't the best for things like hardware, but that's fine since there are so many sources available to us. But they are the best place to deal for machinery in the area. All of my non-Mini Max and Stubby equipment came from them and the toy I'm soon to buy will likely come from them, too.

I did a UK trip in March as well as two weeks ago. If the fellow you remember was just under 6' with a ponytail, that would have been me.
    --