Thread: need mitre saw opinions

need mitre saw opinions

Anybody have a particular mitre saw they like? My budget rules out an sliding mitre saws. My big things are accuracy without a bunch of aligning and clean cuts. I'm planning on building some boxes (quite a few) with it. Will a ten inch suffice or should I spring for a twelve inch? Any opinions are appreciated!

Ted, I'm sure you'll get plenty of action (more like REaction!) on this one. Lots of choices and loyalties out there. For me, I started with an old Ryobi, 10", MS, then graduated up to a Dewalt, 12" CMS. Finally, a few months ago, I settled on one of the new Delta, 12", CMS saws with the laser guide. Dead-on accurate right out of the box, great fit and finish, plenty of power and the dual laser guide has been a very welcome relief for my poor old eyesight. I ordered it through Amazon, when it was still on sale (don't know today's price.), along with the Delta rebate. In my case, I got the PC 690 router. The saw came within just a few days of ordering it and the router was here within 3 weeks. Several months of use later, I'm thrilled with both!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    10" Makita CMS. Like slicing butter with a warm knife!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

DW705 is what I use... Love the higher fence, just replace the blade with something better if you plan doing anything critical. Generally just about anything from the big boys will suit your needs and budget.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

need mitre saw opinions

Ted,

I have a Makita 10" LS-1013 sliding compound and love it but it is on the expensive side.

Try Harbor Freight, 1-800-423-2567, www.harborfreight.com. They have a special on their "Chicago Electric 10" Compound Slide Miter Saw", # 90891-1VGA, normally $199.99, now $99.99. I've never seen it but have a couple of friends that have them and they like them. They both use them to cut scroll saw pieces so not sure how they will do with the more accurate cuts.

Regards, Joe

Ted

FHB has a review of the current compound non-sliders. I believe the Bosch and a Delta (412 maybe- can't remember off hand) and the Dewalt came out on top. It might be worth picking up.

Steve

7. You might like to read my review of the Bosch 3912 12" CMS if you are doing some research.
    http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/boschgcm12.htm

Was about to say great "little" saw but I guess it isn't so little

Ted,

I have the same as Mr. Ballent...the DW705 and I have a CMT saw blade in there (12"). I put the DW blade back in when I'm cutting crap (pvc, scrap wood, 2x4s, etc.).

The March 2004 issue of WOOD (#154) has a review on Sliding mitersaws. It has got me thinking if I should trade up but my 12" CMS has done everything I've asked and those SCMS do need some space behind them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks, guys. I know what I have to do....hang on to the DW I'm borrowing from my brother in law until he pries it out of my cold,dead hand! Which might not take him long since he's a member of the SWAT team in our city

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph N. Myers
    Ted,

I have a Makita 10" LS-1013 sliding compound and love it but it is on the expensive side.

Try Harbor Freight, 1-800-423-2567, www.harborfreight.com. They have a special on their "Chicago Electric 10" Compound Slide Miter Saw", # 90891-1VGA, normally $199.99, now $99.99. I've never seen it but have a couple of friends that have them and they like them. They both use them to cut scroll saw pieces so not sure how they will do with the more accurate cuts.

Regards, Joe
    This might be kind of belated, but I mine is a DW706, and I'm very happy with it.

Regarding that 10" slider from HF: That was actually my first WW/carpentry tool. I used it for around 1 1/2 years before I got the DeWalt. I read of another person who had no issues right out of the box, but I did a little fiddling with it to make it more accurate. Once set though, it worked like a charm. I paid a $100 for mine shipped, and sold it for $90 after nearly two years to someone who'd never heard of HF. (I actually got it off eBay, before there was a HF around here.) I would consider it one of their hits as far as power tools go, at least for the price.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    Don't know if you have a Home Depot near you. BUT, if you sign up for a Contractor Card you can take a 50% off on a power tool they carry. I have a 12" CMS and love it.

Jim from Idyllwild CA

I started out with a 10" Ryobi about 15 years ago or more and still have it. Good saw and not too heavy which is nice since I can carry it all over the house and outside to cut 2x material. I did move up to a PC 12" saw that I got as a refurb for 200 about a year ago. I think it is the 3802 model. Very nice saw, very well constructed, very heavy. I keep it bolted down to a bench I made a couple of months ago with dust collection. I like having both since it gives me the freedom to take the lighter saw wherever I need it and still have one dedicated in the shop.

I have the Delta 12" CMS with laser guides and a Forrest chopmaster blade. This thing slices through wood like butter! I could not be more thrilled with this tool.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

As you can tell by reading these posts, if you purchase a miter saw from one of the name brand manufacturers, you should be happy with it. No one seems to be making any bad saws right now. The differences seem to be very minor. I recommend you check out any saws you can at local stores. Look at the fence system - flips, height, hold downs, optional crown molding features if needed - check out the stops for possible slop, try the vertical versus horizontal handles for comfort ( I like the horizontal much better ), look at the supplied blade (Makita ships normally with a very high quality blade saving you a chunk up front). I have a Makita LS1013 slider.
    Pete in Louisiana