Thread: Triming out frameless cabs

Triming out frameless cabs

Wondering what everyone's preferred method for attaching crown and light rail to frameless uppers. Was planning on a simple nailng cleat along top and bottom of cabinets. Doors will be sized with a slightly larger reveal top and bottom to accomodate a bit of an overlap of the trim.

These cleats will need to be L-shaped because I want the crown to start at the front of the doors and the light rail to be flush also with the front of the doors.

Just wondering if anyone prefers a method that is different, more effective, or easier?

I also wanted to dress up certain areas of the kitchen by using ballusters; on corners of sink bump-out, or on either side of the built-in fridge. Do I have any other options besides a spacer between cabinets to allow for the necessary 3-3.5"?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Nelson View Post
    These cleats will need to be L-shaped because I want the crown to start at the front of the doors and the light rail to be flush also with the front of the doors.
    That's exactly what I've done (assuming the cabs do not run to the ceiling).
    Matt

I was going to run them to the ceiling, but then after I drew them up it turned out the design worked better to leave about a 4" gap between the top of the crown and the ceiling.

The ceiling is coffered, so it would take a lot of trickery to get the cabinets to look good if they went to the ceiling.

Brett-

If you're building the cabinets, you could also run the cabinet sides high, then add a front nailer and as many layers of molding as you want.

I've seen it done this way as well.
    Matt

I've seen that also, but had wondered if it is as easy.