Thread: 1st natural edge bowl

1st natural edge bowl

I have finally stepped over to the natural edge side of bowlturning. Turning natural edge has it's own set of challenges. I think I learned a lot doing this first bowl. It is black walnut and I decided on 1/4" thickness to show the bark. The diameter is 5" and the height is 3". I decided to curve the sides like a globe to show all layers of the wood. I used my Sorby Multi-tip Shear scraper with the curved cutter to do the hollowing. The finish is just one coat of Minwax Tung Oil Finish so far. After applying a few more coats, it will either get buffed with the Beall system, or maybe a spray laquer or varnish, I haven't decided.

I think I am satisfied with this first natural edge bowl. The grain and the different layers of the wood are really beautiful.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that I originally attempted to leave an 1/8" lip around the rim for a pewter potpourri lid, but that didn't survive the hollowing.

Thanks for looking.

keithz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Thumbs up

Looks great Keith!

I havent tried a natural edge bowl yet but it wont be long
    how much CA glue did you have to use ?
    Jim

A most excellent turning, Keith! Natural edge pieces are not the easiest to do at first, but have their own rewards. This one is just super!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Very nice. I've never done a natural edge but I think the Walnut must be tricky as there is a thick spongy layer to the bark. Any trouble with that?

Personally, I think "losing the rim" for the potpourri lid was a blessing in disguise! The bowl is beautiful, all on its own and I think the lid would've detracted from it! Just MHO.... Excellent job, Keith!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks Jim, Jim, John, and John.

I appreciate the kind words. This will not be the last natural edge bowl I do.

Jim K. I didn't have to use much CA, although I did soak the bark thoroughly a couple of times. I also had to reinforce a small section that came loose.

John S. I had no problems with the spongy layer. It was quite firm and held well. Of course, I kept my bowl gouge very sharp at all times and made sure I was cutting the fibers and not ripping them.

John M. I have been looking at the bowl more and I think I tend to agree with your opinion that losing that lip was a blessing in disguise. The completed bowl stands alone on its own. I'll save the pewter lids for more traditional edges.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.