Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

Here's a table I built after seeing something similar in a movie, hence I've dubbed it the "set" table. I had this wood laying around with nothing to do so I thought this might be a good project. I normally try and get rid of the sap wood but I didn't want to give up any width. I decided to use the bottom shelf to totally embrace sap wood and call attention to a piece I wouldn't normally use. I don't know if you like it, but I think it works. More importantly, so does my bride!

This was a ton of fun. I got a chance to do a ton of hand cut dovetails. I figured that because the table has a delecate look to it (thin legs, fine tapers), that I should make the pins as thin as possible. I don't think you can get the pins any thinner as they're the width of my fret saw blade.

I turned all the knobs - my first attempt at turning more than one knob. Only three additions to the scrap bin!

Right now I just have a coat of BLO on it. I wasn't planning on posing it until I had sprayed it, but the sun was out, it was 68F and the figure was popping. So there ya be. Thanks for looking!

Also, if you want to see the construction pics in all their gruesome detail, they're on my website. I'll try and get the Sketchup plans up there as well if your interested.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 01-21-2009 at 7:27 PM.

Some more pics of a few more angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow the craftsmanship in that piece is amazing. The knobs look great and the grain is wonderful on the drawer fronts. Well done!

Sweet Jason. Real sweet

Beautiful table and superb craftsmanship....

I love the thin pin hand cut dovetails...
    Excellent job on those.

We don't find a lot of curly cherry up here and
    you sure have done everything to show it off.

Thanks for the post..

(great pics also)
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 01-20-2009 at 9:05 PM.

A beautiful piece and interesting design - chest on a table. I really like the flowing grain across the drawer fronts. Thin is in, huh? Pins that is. Really nice. I'll definitely be checking out the website for the progress photos.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Jason,
    I really like the look, very nicely done! Your dovetails look great...

Jim

Jason, that's awesome. It seems to have a kinda "chest on stand" feel to it, while retaining the Shaker that you do so well. The dovetails are smokin', too!! I have to say, I'm glad you left the sap in, too...the whole piece feels so "real" because of it. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm glad to see this piece meets your usual level of craftsmanship and design! Outstanding table and outstanding work. Thanks for sharing!!!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I like it! Those are some good looking DTs too. Beautiful.

ok - I give up. Head on over to the classifieds guys, selling all my tools. Seriously Jason - that is truly par excellence. Stock selection is fantastic and the execution is out of this world. Well done (as usual).

Your work is very impressive. High quality to the max.

Steve Bolton

Thanks everyone. It's a joy to build furniture when I can and share it when it's done. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to call it too So I guess "chest on stand" it is

Thanks again!

Jason,
    I have been a big fan even though your work does not usually include inlay. Man we have been missing your posts. Your website and photos are amazing to say the least and you have great courage to attempt the blotch prone cherry... curly no less!!!

Great work as usual from you!
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-21-2009 at 1:52 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Exellent from stem to stern. Nice.. tight DT's. I also prefer to do them where a saw blade width opening gets the call on both sides of the angle. Again.. You really did a nice job on those and the whole thing is just pleasant to look at.

Sarge..

Jason,

Love the piece. Great hand cut DT also.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.