Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumber Storage racks?

Lumber Storage racks?

I am going to do some shop remodel work after I finish the job I am currently working on. I intend to incorporate a wall mount lumber rack that allows for use of the floor space below it. I have 10' ceilings in the shop and the spot I plan to use is 7' between windows. I normally don't have much stock over 8' long and if I do it could go above the windows.

I would love to see how some of you have handled lumber storage. Thanks.

Marty

Here is an easy way to build shelves:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...es-support.htm

You can adjust the sizes to suit your situation.

Marty,
    Here is a great thread with lots of pictures and descriptions regarding other's lumber storage solutions.

Eric

Lumber Racks

Hi Marty. The link above that Eric posted has some good info. There you can see what I and someone else built but you want under the rack storage, so I would say that the Triton rack system would work well for you. I also have two of these for my smaller stuff and they are pretty sturdy as well. The Triton racks can sometimes be had for less than $60 when on sale.

P.S. say hello to Sarah Palin for me. Or better yet,.....Oh never mind. My wife might see this post!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Hi Marty. There you can see what I and someone else built but you want under the rack storage, so I would say that the Triton rack system would work well for you. I also have two of these for my smaller stuff and they are pretty sturdy as well. The Triton racks can sometimes be had for less than $60 when on sale.
    I also have a Triton rack and it has worked out well. I highly recommend their system.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I purchased two sets of the Triton racks when they were on sale but haven't put them up yet. From everything I have read about them they are very good. I paid around $35 per set, I don't think I could build a lumber rack out of wood for much less than this.
    David B

Another vote for the Triton Wood Rack. I also bought two of them to use in a small alcove in my garage. I like them alot.

Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I purchased two sets of the Triton racks when they were on sale but haven't put them up yet. From everything I have read about them they are very good. I paid around $35 per set, I don't think I could build a lumber rack out of wood for much less than this.
    I did the same thing as David did and plan to install the racks as soon as I can in my new shop. In fact I took them down their last week and as soon as I get a chance to put a second coat of paint on the wall they are going up. It sure will be nice to have my wood up on racks. Quite frankly I don't think I could have built better racks for less than I paid for the two Tritons.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Lumber Storage Options

I built the rack shown several months ago in FWW with the rack lag bolted to the wall and ceiling and glued to the floor. Looks good. Somewhat adjustable. Good storage underneath, and easy to customize. Excellent support for volumn storage. Make the rack whatever length and height suits your needs.

Some great info guys. Thanks much. I will look into those Tritons if shipping to the frozen north is not too much. Of course building racks would be much more rewarding. Decisions decisions. Thanks again.

Marty

My rack design uses open stud bays with 2x6 blocks to create the shelf holes and 2x3 pieces for the shelf pins. See photos at the bottom at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97727.

Triton user here as well. I bought 2 pairs for $35 each and wound up only using 3 of the 4. When they go on sale again I will get one more pair. I like them that much.

Marty,

Here's a link to my rack. Its still working fine and is relatively easy to construct.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18503

Cheers,

Kent

Blog Entries
    You can see mine on the right in this photo. I got the parts at Lowe's but Lee Valley carries them as well. They take up about 32" at the top of the wall and run about 10 feet wide.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The answer is right down the street

at Lowes, that is.

I have built two 20+ ft. long shelves in our storage area, truck garage, and used off the self parts from Lowes.

In those two cases I bought 80" standards and screwed them to the studs with 3" #14 screws. They are spaced on every other wall stud. For the standards I bought 14" snap in shelf supports. On the one wall, I just left it at the raw shelf supports. I use it for storing wood that is scrap but is too good to throw away. The other set of shelves have four shelves with a strip of 90 deg. angle iron along the lower front edge. This set is used by LOML to store gardening supplies.

These parts are the best Lowes offers; they have a baked-on white enamel finish. As I recall they are made by Rubbermaid. They are not cheap, but they are good, and will outlast me.

Just Tuesday, I bought 3 2 ft standards and mounted them in a corner of the shop for interim storage of wood coming into or planed for leaving the shop. The shelf brackets are the same as those I used in the garage areas.
    Best Regards, Ken