Thread: Miter saw stand & dust collection

Miter saw stand & dust collection

My miter saw has been a real dust problem, so I built the stand shown in a recent WOOD magazine. Here's a photo of the completed stand with my two dust pickups. The saw's dust spout connects to an 1 1/2" hose and then to the 4" PVC system. The stand has a 4" inlet in the bottom. Each has its own blast gate. The two pickups combined really grab the sawdust. All in all, this has been a real worthwhile project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good.

Trying to come up with something for my SCMS has my brain hurting. It keeps getting bumped down the project list.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks for the report. I have the same saw, and it is a real pain. My RAS is next to it and probably 90% of the sawdust is picked up by the DC.. I wish I could say the same about the miter saw, I use a shop vac on it because it seems to work best. I am glad to hear this one works well.

Maybe I will give this a try, I have a DC drop right next to the saw. I will have to cogitate on my fence and stops first.

Rick Potter

Looks good Pete, so Im clear, there is some sort of opening behind the saw for chips and dust to fall down in the cabinet?? I assume there is hence the dust port under the cabinet?
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I should have posted a photo taken from the side. The stand is 2' deep, with the MS mounted towards the front, leaving ~ 9" clear space behind for the hose to swing around and for the 'spray' to hit the back & sides and drop to the bottom. The side wings on the stand are behind the MS fence ~ 3", so there's no interference.
    Opening the blast gate on the saw pickup 100% and the lower pickup ~ 33% seems to give a real good balance to get nearly everything.
    It's a HUGE improvement over the bag, plus the stand is set at an excellent working height.

Now then, try cutting different types of materials.
    Once I got pretty good pick up with MDF, I tried oak. That threw everything out the window again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hay View Post
    I should have posted a photo taken from the side. The stand is 2' deep, with the MS mounted towards the front, leaving ~ 9" clear space behind for the hose to swing around and for the 'spray' to hit the back & sides and drop to the bottom. The side wings on the stand are behind the MS fence ~ 3", so there's no interference.
    Opening the blast gate on the saw pickup 100% and the lower pickup ~ 33% seems to give a real good balance to get nearly everything.
    It's a HUGE improvement over the bag, plus the stand is set at an excellent working height.
    Ahh I see, now thats a clever design. At first I was wondering why not just one blast gate that opened both pickups but this makes more sense. You can adjust the amount of suction to each one. Looks like a great setup!!

That looks good. I am trying to incorporate it into my "station". According to the plans both the front and rear panels slope inward to the bottom collection point. Do you think there would be any problem if the front was sloped more and the rear was vertical?

No doubt the plans could be modified as you suggest. The rear of both sides are flush with the building's wall surface of course. The back of the stand slopes in after contacting the building wall at the top. The WOOD magazine plans have the center of the bottom just about directly below the rear of the miter saw, and the 'spray' dust seems to migrate real well to the lower pickup.

Pete,
    Which pickup do you think draws more sawdust, the upper or lower? I was thinking of running 2" with blast gate for the upper and the 4" with blast gate like you did for the lower.

11. Hello I am new here, nice design Pete one thing I see wrong is no grounding wires on those PVC pipes. Bit of a hazard there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Reichert View Post
    Hello I am new here, nice design Pete one thing I see wrong is no grounding wires on those PVC pipes. Bit of a hazard there.
    Actually not, do some research on it and I think you'll find the big scare of grounding PVC is just that, a big scare.

Jim,
    I am not doubting that, but was just curious where the info came from? I am currently laying out a system and PVC is easier to source locally...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hay View Post
    Hi Pete,

Would you mind posting a photo from the side sometime? I'm not sure I follow your design, but would love to have something that works for my MS as well.

Thanks,
    Scott