Thread: Which Rotex RO150 or RO125

Which Rotex RO150 or RO125

I was planning on buying an RO150, as I have found several occassions lately where I want to level out the slight ridges in wide glueups where the joint is. I am an impatient sander so I usually go with my ROS and it can take a while, and I don't trust myself with a Belt Sander. This had me looking at the RO150, but after thinking about it and doing some research, I think this will probably be my go to sander for most things and am now thinking that the smaller RO125 might be a little less cumbersome for all around work. Just wanted to get some input on what others who own these sanders might think.

Bigger is better? All my F sanders use the 6" (150 mm) discs....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I find my Rotex a bit bulky as a plain ROS, and generally just reserve that beast for aggressive sanding. Whatcha really need is the Rotex 6" *and* the lighter ETS 150 in 6". Then you can save money by sharing sandpaper.

I've got a 150 and although it can be a handful in Rotex mode, it's still more controllable than my belt sander. Which, BTW, I can't remember where it is now. It is such a joy to see rough lumber made ready for the planner in just 5 minutes. I don't run dirty lumber thru my machine. And in the ROS mode I can go thru 3 grits on a tabletop in 1/2 hour. That said, I still use a 5" PC for the higher grits or small pieces.

I have the 150 in retrospect the 150 is the way to go the 125 is cute but a little small. Have you tried a hand scraper to take the glue off?
    -=Jason=-

I have the RO 150 and an ETS 125. I cannot imagine what it would be like to use the RO125 to flatten a panel or glue up joints. I would recommend the RO150 & ETS 150 combo.

I love the 125. It is more comfortable to me
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I just got a 150. (stealth gloat) It is awesome. I also have the ETS125 (5") which I love for final finish sanding and awkward positions. As others have said the RO150 is quite a beast. I cannot simply lay a board on a rubber mat like I used to and expect it to stay still. It will twist the mat up under the board. Plan on clamping the wood down! I'll never use a belt sander again.

John,

I'd go with a 6" sander over a 5", but that's just personal opinion. Regarding the RO 150 vs RO 125, I think the 150 is smoother (due to its large pad size). Most people choose the 150, if that matters.

Bob
    bob m