Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Beautiful Box!

Blog Entries

A Beautiful Box!

One of my coworkers, knows I like to make boxes..... found this box in an antique store for $90.00 - I can't believe the price.....for one thing. Secondly, I think this box is amazing throughout. Of course, he wouldn't take the $100 I offered him for it.

I have no idea how old...or anything, but the patina on the thing tells me that it is old..... probably older than me. I looked everywhere, pulled all the drawers....etc... No makers mark.

I think it's Mahogony...but, I can't tell..for sure

I love the design.... and if you notice in the last picture how the bottom of the drawer is beveled to fit in the groove.... cool!!!

Anyway - I simply had to "borrow" the thing and bring it home to share with ya'all.... and to take a lot of pictures and take measurements.

Dewey, you're right.... everything is better with inlay.

What do you guys think?

I think it is of foreign origin, probably some form of mahogany. The inlays look like mother of pearl or abalone?? Interesting piece, a lot of stuff going on with the swing out sections, drawers, etc. Not sure it is all that old, as much of the import stuff has a lot of patina - the dovetailing looks less than masterful (better than mine!), but that could be a product of age. Sure looks old, though!

That, from someone who knows nothing about boxes!

Interesting piece to say the least. Looks old from the way the DT's were done. I know nothing about inlay but the box itself is more complicated and better looking than the set I am going to post on Monday or so. I suppose I can hide behind the fact they are my first small project.

Sarge..

Love to get a sketchup of that with dimensions. That's way cool

That is one cool box. I'm with John on this one - I think it's foreign too. That was the first thought that went through my mind.

So when are we going to see the Ed Sallee version of this?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Ed, that is really unique & beautiful. Take lots of pics and measurements and clone it. With your box making skills, I’d love to see your take on it!

I’d like to see what it is worth on the Antiques Roadshow. Probably a lot more than 90 bucks!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-22-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ed,
    Are you going to build this?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could even come close to "cloning" this thing.... but, I could make a different version.... I have ZERO experience with the mother of pearl or whatever that might be in there....

It is my intent to borrow from the design.... for sure. Just not sure when.

Even without the inlay that is a neat box. Looking forward to someone cloning it!

It may not be all that old - you see a lot of this work coming out of India. The hardware looks like India - but the inlay with the birds looks more Malay.

It is very hard to tell anymore -- as all the styles get jumbled.

But, looking at the dovetail quality I would believe it to be newer make.

When you spend any time in third world areas it is unbelievable how much of this type of woodworking goes on -- all being made with the most basic of tools.

Blog Entries
    Probably not that old. A lot of these type of boxes came out of Viet Nam, Thailand & India. Service men were always bringing things like this home for loved ones from over there. Some were more practical than others. If you travel those areas you will see dozens of shops with similar items for sale. Many times the craftsman is right there making another one, mostly with hand tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ed,
    That is a fascinating box.
    What is also fascinating is how you got the images to reflect in the mirror.
    The third shot, I thought it might be a picture frame, but the fourth shot shows a chest of drawers, How much effort did you put into making the reflections turn out that way?
    Lovely piece,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    I adjusted just a little.... Saw the pic in the view finder and said... "why not".... It's a pic from Cirque du Soleil.....

I was wondering if anybody would catch that....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
    Love to get a sketchup of that with dimensions. That's way cool
    Well, I did the sketchup on this box. I still need to add some moulding around the bottom..but, I don't need sketchup for that..... I should now tear it apart and show the measurments....

I think I might have to give this thing a whirl....

Wow that thing is very cool!! I love the way it just keeps unfolding revealing more and more little features and gadgets. Go ahead Ed you can copy it, I got faith in ya!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.