Thread: Speedball Linoleum for printing?? Engravable?

Speedball Linoleum for printing?? Engravable?

I have a customer that wants engraving done on a product that I am not familiar with. Speedball Linoleum Block. It has a layer of a beige colored material laminated to a piece of mdf. I can't find a MSDS on it at their website. Has anybody engraved this stuff. Is it safe. If so, what settings are recommended with 40 watts?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry

My memory's failing but this is an old old material which I believe was used for a process called block prints. Some of the artists in the crowd can probably be more helpful but I think the base was asphalt.

The image was carved into the material then covered with ink then pressed onto paper.

Never did it so my technique may not be quite accurate.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yes Mike, it is used for printmaking. The stuff on top of the mdf is said to be linoleum but it looks like vinyl of some sort. If I can eliminate PVC as an ingredient it is probably OK. No MSDS that I can find. Guess I can call them tomorrow if no one here knows about it. (that would be unusual)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry

As old as linoleum is I'm sure it pre-dates PVC.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If it is Linoleum heres the composition:

Linoleum
    is a floor covering made from solidified linseed oil (linoxyn) in combination with wood flour or cork dust over a burlap or canvas backing. Pigments may be added to the materials used.

For everyone's information. It engraves beautifully! We got an excellent result. I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

I have also heard that it's the 'softest' word in the English language..

Soooo The next time your wife wants you to whisper something soft, bend in real close, blow in her ear, and say: L i n o l e u m ..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it