Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticks and Stones

Gallery bound for sure!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Absolutely gorgeous!

That is simply gorgeous Bob, .........and some nice rock WOW.
    Have fun and take care

That's a sweet little piece, Bob!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Superior

Very excellant!!

Really nice. Would certainly be interested in a tutorial if you have the time.

Thanks, again, for all of your kind comments. This piece is really just a compilation of what I have seen and learned from wood and stone turners who frequent the forums. Certainly, you all were a part of that.

Steve – I do use carbide tools that I made for the stone parts, and my normal high speed steel for the wood elements. It can be done with high-speed steel, but the stone dulls them almost immediately and then begins wearing down the cutting edge. That makes regrinding them for wood turning a major effort. And I’m a lazy guy at heart.

Wyatt – I’m glad you turned the talc. Max Krimmel and Steve “Spike” Finch are two names worth looking up. A couple of masters and great resources. Talc is the softest of the stones being about a 1 – 1.5 on the MOHS scale. Alabaster is a bit harder being about a 2 – 3. There is a slight difference in the feel when turning them similar to what we run into with some of the woods we turn. Both will scratch, and I tend to scratch mine up using calipers to measure wall thickness while it’s on the lathe. The scratches sand out easily, though. To avoid them after the piece is done, a couple of coats of surface finish that dries to a harder film helps. Lacquer and the wipe on polyurethanes work well. That way your finished piece can be handled without too much risk.

Dave – I had heard the dust storm mentioned and it scared me away for some time because I have a basement shop. However, I don’t think it’s all that bad. Stone is heavier than wood, so most of it tends to pile up all over the banjo, the lathe ways, and through the opening onto the surface below. That said, though, I do have a dust collector hose mounted behind the lathe which I position behind the piece when turning and sanding. That collects a lot of it. There is a little that does get airborne and settles on nearby surfaces. By far, the biggest problem I have with it is tracking it around on the bottom of my shoes. I have received more than one rather energetic reminder to change my shoes before coming upstairs.

Thanks, again.
    Bob Way
    Canton, MI.

Whoa nice piece!! That is very interesting and you did a heck of a job with it!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

When I turned talc it was OK. I just had to not squeeze to hard with the chuck, or it would crush the tenon. That is why I want to try alabaster.

Gotcha. Alabaster would probably crush in the chuck as well. Most of the stone is mounted to a wood block that either fits a faceplate or is turned beforehand to fit the jaws of a chuck. Then just flatten a face of the stone and attach to the block for the faceplate or chuck.
    Bob Way
    Canton, MI.

that is an awsome peice. the stone almost looks like a spualted wood or a burl
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Very nice.

I don't know if I have the guts to turn stone.

Well done.

Toney