Thread: What table saw??

What table saw??

I am looking into buying a new table saw. I need a fairly good saw as I do a lot of specialty pieces out of crown moulding. About 10 years ago I was told not to buy a Grzzly bad saw that the Jet was much better. But now I see a lot of people seem to really like the Grizzly products. If you had about a grand to spend what table saw would you look at.

also, might be a dumb question but what exactly is "riving knife"

Thanks for your time.
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

A riving knife is a splitter behind the blade that sits about 1/8" below the top arc of the blade. It raises and lowers with the blade, and therefore doesn't have to be taken off for non-through cuts. Many feel that it is a very good safety piece, and one that more people will keep on the saw to help prevent kickbacks. Daddos would be the only cut you would need to take it off for. The new Griz saws with it start at 1250.00 plus 146.50 shipping, IIRC. I have my eye on the next model up with the longer rails. But the 1023 unit has seen rave reviews, and can be purchased starting about a grand plus shipping. I haven't heard anything bad about that saw. Hope the new ones receive the same praise. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    I have the C-man 22124 so, no direct experience but the Griz 1023 has a large following and I don't hear a lot of complaints.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thad, don't totally look past PowerMatic. I have the 64a and it's been awesome!!

If you check your local Craigslist there are deals to be had there too.
    Seen some really good deals on great saws lately.
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

IMO, Grizzly's TS lineup is as competitive as any on the market in terms of bang per the buck. Very good quality, excellent value. I don't think Grizzly any longer even has a clunker in their entire TS lineup. The contractor saw models with the outboard motor are a bit dated (0444, 0444Z, 0575, 0576), though are very good examples of that style of saw. The G1023 gets the most favorable press as being a bonafide performer at a bargain price. Jet, Steel City, Shop Fox, and General International offer a dealer network and similar quality but often at a slightly higher price.

They'll all be capable of excellent service once setup properly and equipped with a good blade. If you've got 220v, I'd get a 3hp industrial style cabinet saw. I'd definitely put the G1023SL at the top of the list near your price range, though Steel City and Shop Fox may have some well priced models too. If you don't have 220v, there are some nice hybrid saws from Craftsman, Steel City, Jet, Delta, Grizzly, Shop Fox, GI, DeWalt, Ridgid, Woodtek, and Sunhill that are worth looking into.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-23-2009 at 8:18 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If you want a cabinet saw style then a used saw (older PM or Delta) would be best with a new Grizzly next. If you want a contractor or hybrid I see Ridgid is coming out with a hybrid style with a granite top for about $600. If it is as good as the 3650 contractor it would be a good deal also.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I've had the Grizzly 1023SL for several years now, and those of us who have it are just about unanimous...great bang for the buck. Scott Spencer seems to always be on top of the TS world and his posts always seem to be full of well researched comments. Read his over carefully. I saw a post where a guy made a riving knife for the 1023 series as an add-on. In the future, they're going to be required on all TS's from what I understand.

Thanks for the feedback. My last saw was an older unisaw (destroyed in a garage fire) anyway, I had the full Incra set up with the router table and all. I assume that the Incra stuff can me attached to the Griz 1023SL?
    X3

I assume that the Incra stuff can me attached to the Griz 1023SL?...

Yep... basically all the cabinet saws can handle that..

Sarge..

Bought a Jet JWCS-10A-PF Cabinet Saw off Ebay Locally for $400.00 It was barely used. Guy said he used it to cut paneling. Cast Iron Top and Extension table and he threw in some extras. Think I got a great deal.
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

Yea i would like to find a deal like that
    X3

Lots of good Craigslist buys right now, and the great thing about table saws is, they're so simple, even a newbie like me can fix one up if it has a part that needs to be replaced.

I recently hauled a crusty old Powermatic 66 home in an SUV, and it's fantastic. It had a 48" fence and 64" rails, and I ripped a big piece of thick particle board and melamine and made my own extension and router insert. Just stuck an Incra V27 miter gauge on it, and I added my own shopmade splitter. I enjoy this saw so much, I would sleep on the extension table if sawdust didn't give me congestion.

I only paid $500, and I got like two dozen blades with it. I've seen similar deals, so you might be well advised to hold out for an old American saw with a big motor.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I love my Sawstop. I know its outside of your price range, but you might want to think about it anyway. It's a top notch saw and It'll pay for itself the first time it saves you a trip to the hospital.

The riving knife virtually eliminates kickback. I've not removed it yet, except for the dado blades.