Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corel Tips

Corel Tips

I am starting this thread for the purpose of providing tips on the use of Corel Draw. Everybody who has ways of using CD and wants to share them please contribute without waiting for prompts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Use the align shortcuts
    For example if you draw a big circle and a smaller square , you select both and just type E and C and the square will be aligned dead centre within the circle.
    The object you select first will be the one to "move" , IE if you select the Sq first , the circle will be static and the sq will centre in it
    There is also P (align all selected object to centre of page) , T (align the Sq to the top of the circle) B(bottom), L(left) and R(Right)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I got this link from another posting on the Creek a day or so back. There are a lot of good tutorial videos here...

http://coreldrawtips.com/index.html
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Alex Galvez

I don't know this guy and I got turned on to this site by probably someone from SMC. But alot of what he does will work with what we do. He's posted some new things since last year if it's been that long since some of you have looked at it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...ez&view=videos

I've just found out he has his own CorelDraw Tips website now.
    http://coreldrawtips.com/

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony Welch; 01-24-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: assing another link
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Very good link. I haven't seen anybody as good as Alex.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

you can do math in most of the boxes

as in let's say you draw a square and it's a weird number, x = 2.37", Y = 2.37 and then later you decide to make the x 3/16" larger, you would just type in to the box 2.37" +3/16 then hit the Enter key.

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Changing rulers

I like having 0, 0 inches on the rulers be at the top left of the page instead of at the bottom left. You can relocate 0, 0 by click and drag on the dashed corner thing at the intersection of the ruler gauges (up in the top left corner of the working area of the page).
    Last edited by Tom Bull; 01-25-2009 at 10:18 AM.

When changing dimensions for an object or page, in the dimension box, instead of entering the decimal equivalent of a fraction, just enter the fraction in regular math format i.e. 7/8. You will have to enter a space after the whole number.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Instead of constantly zooming in and out.....click on Window|New Window and then tile the two windows......you will then have two views of the same document and changes in one will be seen in real time in the other.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

You can also zoom in and out by rolling the mouse wheel..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bull View Post
    I like having 0, 0 inches on the rulers be at the top left of the page instead of at the bottom left. You can relocate 0, 0 by click and drag on the dashed corner thing at the intersection of the ruler gauges (up in the top left corner or the working area of the page).
    Tom, are you aware you can set that up to stay like that? I think it's under "Tools", "Options", "Document", "Page", "Size", and then enter the height of your page in the Height field, "OK", then back to "Tools", "Save Settings as Default" and it should be like that all the time.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If you right click on the ruler it will bring up the window Steve is talking about where you can make your settings permanent. Just be sure to save settings as default.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Heres something I've never been able to find (because it's probably staring me right in the face!) Is when you click File, Open recent, is there anyway to change the default number of recent files listed from 5 to maybe 20? It would sure save some time..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Here's a Windows tip that I learned recently that goes with what we do in Corel...Have you ever wondered where to find the character for copyright or the little zero that denotes degrees. They are found by accessing the character map for the font.
    In XP ..Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/ Character Map. A window will open that shows all the characters in a grid. You can select and copy.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry, that's in Corel as well. Under "Text", click on "Insert Symbol Character" and it'll bring up a docker. You can select any font and then scroll through them to find the alt codes to insert them. You can drag and drop them, or you can use them in normal typing. When you get to the place you want to insert the special character, just hold the alt key down, enter the numbers for that character, and then it'll appear.

Let's try it here..... © and 45° Yup, works here too
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 01-25-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.