Thread: Where to get water born acrylic PAINT

Where to get water born acrylic PAINT

Jeff Jewett's book on finishing makes a good recommendation for water born acrylic---for both finish and paint.

I have a project I am making from "found" wood, so have filled the nail holes, etc, and want to paint it. I understand that water born acrylic paint is easier to spray than is oil based paint.

But when I tried to get the water born acrylic paint locally, no soap! All I could get was acrylic based latex. In other words, paint for wallboard, vinyl siding, etc.

So, my question: where do I get the paint?

Thanks for any info.

Art

Target Coating's USL is often recommended by many SMC users. (http://www.targetcoatings.com/oxford-spray-lacquer.html) It is designed for spraying. By itself, it is a clear finish which uses acrylic resin. It can be colored by the addition of universal colorants, just like the home store custom-colors latex wall paint. You can buy USL directly from Target, and get universal colorants from many sources (I get mine at a local paint store). Or you can buy USL and universal colorants together from one source - http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...etcoatings.htm is one example. Homestead also offers some colors premixed (http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/pd...colorchart.pdf), or for an extra fee will color-match your sample.

Art, where are you shopping?

What you're looking for can be called by several different names, but you're basically looking for a top-of-the-line trim "enamel". The use of the enamel moniker with "latex" or "acrylic" generally points to a paint that cures to a harder finish. "Latex" is really just a generic, legacy term. Virtually all water clean-up (waterborne) paints out there today use some sort of acrylic polymer as their binder.

Behr, sold by Home Depot has a waterborne acrylic enamel (I don't recall the name of the line), as does Sherwin-Williams (ProClassic Waterborne), and I'm sure most other consumer-grade coatings manufacturers produce something similar.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Target is having a sale on USL @ $33.00 a gallon. I just bought 2 gallons and got an additional 10% off at checkout. It's The Finishing Store

Thanks a lot, guys.

This helps a lot.

Art

Actually, you can buy the stuff from Jeff Jewitt...and he tints, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...