Thread: Hutch Door Problem

Unhappy Hutch Door Problem

I want to make a 43" tall door with leaded glass inserts. I have milled two sets of doors from straight stock and all four pieces have cupped. I have used two different boards that were 1" thick.

I cut both boards to my 2 1/4" width and let them rest two days. Then I machined them on the jointer and planer to my 3/4" thickness. Then cut my final width of 2". The next day the cupped.

I am afraid to waste more expensive wood. I am using 1/4 sawn red oak.

Any suggestions on how to make these large doors?

Ummmm, you did what ??? If i am to understand you correctly, you ripped to width - THEN planed and jointed?? At any rate 43" isn't all that "large" of a door. Personally I machine to thickness first - if you think it's going to warp or twist, or cup- then leave it as thick as you can. Then continue w/ the jointer, rip on TS, etc. (since that seems to be the accepted norm) personally I don't like jointer marks , so I belt sand my edges.

If you still think movement is inevitable in the wood, consider adding to the rear of the door either another thickness of material or a strip "on edge" perpindicular to the door back to add ridgidity to the frame.

If there's no need to match the doors to an existing cabinet you can make them as thick as you want - who ever said 3/4" is THE thickness ? If you hav ethick stock, just run it through the planer 'til both sides clean up nicely. The thinner you make it the more it will cup. I leave all my stuff as thick as I can, unless I need it thin.

You didn't mention the width of the door ?
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt