Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones

I don't have many opportunities to participate in the forums I enjoy, but one of my New Year's resolutions was to take the time and correct that oversight.

My sons and daughters (“in-law”) went in together and gave me two very nice blocks of Alabaster. I quartered one of the chunks, and turned this vase. Another piece is in the works and I'm not quite sure what it will be yet, but when done both will be re-gifted back to them. It’s 4” in diameter, 6” tall and is made from alabaster, bloodwood, and hard maple. As always, I appreciate you taking the time to look, and enjoy your thoughts and comments.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Way
    Canton, MI.

Bob, This is a great piece!! I like the combination of materials and the color and form are very appealing. Is wood movement a player in this kind of work?

Very nicely done Bob! Very, very elegant!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob - the first word that came to mind - Classy! Great form! Excellent use of color! I am sure whoever receives this as a gift will treasure it! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of your turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good golly that is gorgeous, What a wonderful piece.

Bob that is a beautiful, elegant piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bob,
    Outstanding work, glad you took the time to share it with us.
    Jack

That is one of the prettiest pieces I have seen... EVER. WOW!

That is really beautiful, Bob. I'm sure whomever receives that will treasure it forever.

I have a question though. Do you just glue the wood to the stone, or is there some other method?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Bob,
    What a classic design style! That is a very pleasing piece to look at and the added wood ring is exceptional, too. Nice work.
    Allen

Thank you for taking the time to take a look and for sharing your comments. I value your opinions.

Ted - the wood movement is a factor. The expansion and contraction of solid wood would cause the stone to crack. That's more of a visual flaw than a functional one. So, the foot and the feature ring are segmented constructions following Malcolm's and Kurt's advice to keep the grain running in the same direction to help minimize the effects of any movement.

Brian - the wood is glued to the stone. In this case there are three different kinds of adhesive used. Weldbond was used to attach the foot and the bottom veneer ring to the stone body. It's a little more flexible and will help with the wood movement issues. The feature ring layers were made with Titebond to help achieve the appearance of tight segment joints. The top stone lip was attached to the feature ring with epoxy. Weldbond tends to soften under the heat generated when turning the stone and can create some adhesion issues. The tradeoff with the epoxy is there will be a slightly thicker glue line.

Thanks again, all, for your comments.
    Bob Way
    Canton, MI.

Golly!

Sweeeeet. Bob, thanks for sharing. That's a wonderful piece and is another thing for me to aspire to learning how to do.

Absolutely stunning. Love it. Do you use carbide tools to work that?

Steve

I liked that when I saw that earlier, so I went and made a hollow form out of talc. It turned out ok, but the wood is so soft it scratches easily. What kind of tools and how is the workability on that alabaster?
    Wyatt

I like everything about it. Does that create quite a dust storm when turning?

Dave