Thread: Photo of Speedball Art Linoleum engraving results

Photo of Speedball Art Linoleum engraving results

These are the results achieved on the Speedball print makers linoleum. I called them and they sent a MSDS. Turns out this stuff is made of various stuff, cork etc., looked to be mostly wood based ingredients. I removed a small piece of the lino from the mdf back and burned it. It burned with a white smoke and smelled like a wood composite, so I figured it was safe. This is the small engraving I did as a test. For lack of any other information, I just used the Epilog recommended setting for wood at 600dpi. The one for the customer was 8x8 and was a mirror image per his request. My nephew brought this up from Atlanta and don't think we every got clear on exactly what he was doing with it. The one we did for him was super deep. But, for whoever is interested, here it is. This stuff is used by artists for artistic print making and is ordinarily cut out with a knife.

While we were at it, we also made a sample coaster to send on solid surface. This is 1/4" LG Himacs Desert Sand, engraved and filled with Krylon Fusion. (cleaned up super fast with WD40)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry

Nice work.

It looks like it would make a superb coaster material that's maybe not too expensive yet durable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You can still make printing blocks with that stuff, just set up the file as a rubber stamp, and use the rubber stamp setting in your driver. Glue it to a block of wood, and your set to go
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Turned out really nice. Well done.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Larry

Nice work.

It looks like it would make a superb coaster material that's maybe not too expensive yet durable.
    Mike:
    That lineoleum is expensive. I understand it's about $10.00 a sq ft retail. It's actually more expensive than 1/4" Corian or HiMacs. Neither one are absorbent. However, I love the solid surface, it's so classy.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    You can still make printing blocks with that stuff, just set up the file as a rubber stamp, and use the rubber stamp setting in your driver. Glue it to a block of wood, and your set to go
    Bill:
    The stuff I worked with was already bonded to a block of mdf. I reckon you could just engrave it like a stamp, cut the size out and then use it that way. Could probably even glue a handle to it. The stuff is a little bit smelly but nothing more than wood. Certainly would not approach rubber as far as stinkability. I think what this guy was going to do was to ink the one I made, and then since the background is what would imprint, the leaves and tree would be white. His logo is actually black with the tree and all white. Anyway, I got educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Bill:
    The stuff I worked with was already bonded to a block of mdf. I reckon you could just engrave it like a stamp, cut the size out and then use it that way. Could probably even glue a handle to it. The stuff is a little bit smelly but nothing more than wood. Certainly would not approach rubber as far as stinkability. I think what this guy was going to do was to ink the one I made, and then since the background is what would imprint, the leaves and tree would be white. His logo is actually black with the tree and all white. Anyway, I got educated.
    In that case what you did should work out perfect for him.. It looks good to me!!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it