Thread: problems with jointer setup

problems with jointer setup

OK, I'm using a brand new 6" Delta and trying to edge joint some 3/4 maple for a table top. The boards are roughly 38" long.

I've used a home made jig with my micrometer, and able to set the outfeed table to within .001 with the knives. Using this wood based jig that is pretty good.

My problem after taking two pieces that have been cut to width on the TS then running the edge over the jointer the joint appears to be worse???? It actually seem like it is putting a crown on the board! I say this as when I test fit the edges I ca slightly rock the pieces on edge. If I run a piece multiple times it seems that the crown gets more pronounced.

The only thing that makes sense to me is potentially the outfed table is not actually on tanget to the cutter? Could it be that the table slowly rises by a few thousands and that would force the second half of the edge to get additional cutting depth? Or maybe I'm just missing something?

Can't beleive I'm having more trouble with a stationary joiner after making many projects with my old bechtop jointer that left a lot to be desired!

All help is appreciated!

Could it be technique? Are you transferring pressure to the outfeed table as soon as safely possible? It definately could be that your outfeed table is higher on the far end as you suspect.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I think I am putting the pressure onto the outfeed table, as these boards are mostly about 3-5", when they run down the fence I can user one finger of my left hand to put horizontal pressure to keep tight against the fence for square, and another finger riding along the top edge putting pressure down onto the table.

This jointer is brand new, that doesn't mean nothing could be wrong!!!

Is this a DJ15?

FWW has two articles that may help Jointer Tune Up and Get The Most of Your Jointer. If you don't have a membership they have a 14 day free trial.

Good luck

Greg

If it's new I'll bet the problem is the board. If the board isn't perfectly flat or has a twist, then jointing the edge while referencing the fence just won't work well. Also, once you do flatten the board you have no way of knowing if the jointed edge is still square to the flattened face. Just because it looks flat doesn't mean it is.

1) Joint a face on the jointer first
    2) Joint an edge, using the jointed face against the fence.
    3) Run through the thickness planer to flatten and dimension
    4) Rip to width on the table saw.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference which order you do 3 & 4.

Michael, my guess is the outfeed table needs to come down a little. Usually the knives should be set .002 to .003 above the outfeed. The best check for me is to start with 2 reasonably straight boards ( check them against the jointer table ) and try to edge joint them. If they turn out fine, you knife height is fine. If when you hold the jointed edges together you find they touch in the middle, but not at both ends, which is what you are experiencing, you need to adjust the outfeed table. First, joint just the middle of each board so when you hold them together there is a gap in the middle, then adjust the outfeed table down, and joint them the full length and check the fit. If the fit is straight, you are at the right height, if you get a gap at the ends you know the height is still off, so joint just the middle again, adjust the outfeed and try again. You know the outfeed is too low when you see you are getting snipe at the rear end of the board. The outfeed is too high if the jointer stops cutting when you are a few inches from the end ( of a straight piece of wood ) Good luck.

I did some more checks. I used the best 4' straight edge I have to check both tables and where I had things set my infeed table was about 1/32 below the outfeed. This was set to just take a light pass on the edges. The knives were just barey making contact with the straight edge while flush to the outfeed.

I did read in another thread that first referencing the infeed , then switching and referencing the outfeed can cause tapering effects? I ran a couple of the boards through with most pressure on the infeed and seemed to get much better results? I assume that mean the issue somewhere on the outfeed side?

As for which model this is, it is the JT360, 6" 3/4 hp on open stand.